Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Fixed Orifice Header Replacement

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Sweet !

Hows it run ? Ssh ? subcool ?

Did you have to adjust the TXV ?
    I just started it about 15 min ago.
    Is there a formula for getting the require sub cooling? I have a slide rule but you have to start off with the right sc number and Carrier doesn't know because it used to be fixed. Just use a rule of thumb?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerman856 View Post
    I just started it about 15 min ago.
    Is there a formula for getting the require sub cooling? I have a slide rule but you have to start off with the right sc number and Carrier doesn't know because it used to be fixed. Just use a rule of thumb?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    U just need to make sure you have a good liquid seal. 10 to 12 subcooling.

Post Likes
    I'm glad I seen this thread awhile back, our senior tech didn't know anything about this and I was able to bring it up and act like I was the resident expert lol. We currently have an RTU with this problem. Thanks

Post Likes
    i just did this on a small 4 ton carrier rtu. mine came with stubs that go into the coil then the header goes into the stubs.

what a PITA it was. had no room to work and panels couldn't come off to make more room. i got it done and holding pressure

over night at 155psi. it was quitting time. will be back there at 7am to check pressure test and vacuum it down.

wish i had the header you got to replace. alot more room to work on yours. think my unit was 48tjd004 its from 1995

Post Likes
    Our parts guy said for some reason they would only sell us the whole coil, at 3 grand that's crap. I'm guessing that's with our markup.

Post Likes
    your parts guy is full of .... lol. took a couple days to get my header in

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    your parts guy is full of .... lol. took a couple days to get my header in
    I thought the same thing, why the home damn coil. Sounds like a lazy salesman or something, or lazy parts man who dont want to dial the phone again. I'm sure the costumer will love the price he gets after he just dropped I bunch on a new compressor. I hate these messes and in glad in not involved.

Post Likes
    I'm still trying to figure out why Trane and Carrier use these things. What's the benefit versus a Standard piston or TXV coil? Idiots!!!!!

Post Likes
    thats funny. i just replaced a compressor in the unit im working on. started up new compressor and there was frost on all orifice tubes.....(thinking in my head) "that sucks. guess i gotta get a new header manifold"

dont know why they use them. would like a txv. trane has a txv retrofit kit. carrier still has not made one of these retrofit kits yet.

Post Likes
    thats funny. i just replaced a compressor in the unit im working on. started up new compressor and there was frost on all orifice tubes.....(thinking in my head) "that sucks. guess i gotta get a new header manifold"

dont know why they use them. would like a txv. trane has a txv retrofit kit. carrier still has not made one of these retrofit kits yet.
    Damn that sucks lol, this was an out of town Job, we gave them a price to replace compressor after a diff company diagnosed it, we verified before we did the work. We had unit running but it was icing up, it was raining and crappy out so we left, the other tech went back and got it running ok but noted low suction. Shorty after ac was out, went there and unit was empty, the tech charged it looked for a leak and couldn't find one, I think he assumed a shredder was leaking. No ac again, found a brand new contractor bad, then shorty after the charge was lost again, I put die in and found a hole in evap, it blew out after compressor because it held pressure with nitro. Fixed it and then this issue happened. I'm not the guy who worked on unit for the most part but it's just a bad situation.

Post Likes
    Sorry for the poor quality of that last post, my wife was next to me complaining that I wasn't talking to her lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Damn that sucks lol, this was an out of town Job, we gave them a price to replace compressor after a diff company diagnosed it, we verified before we did the work. We had unit running but it was icing up, it was raining and crappy out so we left, the other tech went back and got it running ok but noted low suction. Shorty after ac was out, went there and unit was empty, the tech charged it looked for a leak and couldn't find one, I think he assumed a shredder was leaking. No ac again, found a brand new contractor bad, then shorty after the charge was lost again, I put die in and found a hole in evap, it blew out after compressor because it held pressure with nitro. Fixed it and then this issue happened. I'm not the guy who worked on unit for the most part but it's just a bad situation.
    What a nightmare!!!Sounds like your customer would have been better off replacing the unit!!! But, tell them to buy a Goodman instead!!!

Post Likes
    they never want to spend the dough on a new unit. but after all repairs are done it costs about the same. they will never learn

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    What a nightmare!!!Sounds like your customer would have been better off replacing the unit!!! But, tell them to buy a Goodman instead!!!
    Hindsight is 20/20. My boss was good warrantied all work so far except this header issue, it has been a pain in the ass.

Post Likes
    My boss got smart and gave them a high price on fixing it so maybe they will call someone else lol, damn job is an hour drive one way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    My boss got smart and gave them a high price on fixing it so maybe they will call someone else lol, damn job is an hour drive one way.
    I had to fix a leak on one today! Ended up replacing a portion of the discharge pipe coming out of the compressor due to it being cracked. I was relieved after i fired it up and suction line was cold and sweat'n. Those units and the Trane voyagers scare me!!!

Post Likes
    they never want to spend the dough on a new unit. but after all repairs are done it costs about the same. they will never learn
    Yeah, got a 15 ton voyager. Circuit #2 is tripping on high head after 30 seconds of runtime. Circuit#1 is running 350 head 60 suction.SH 55° I popped the top and split coil is impacted with Sh!t. But, outside is clean as a whistle. My guess is circuit#1 done cooked it's oil, and dryer or checkvalve screen is now sludged! They didn't want to do anything to it. Because, they just paid to get the carrier fixed!!! It's one of those places that rents retail space just for the Holidays. Starting with halloween!!! All i wanted was $$$ to clean the coil and go from there!!!!Nope!! Building is cool enough for now. HAhahaha

Post Likes
    yup.. go ahead and mark down you'll need 2 compressors, 1 case of blue nu calgon coil cleaner, coil gun, 2 txv, 2 bottles nitro, and 2 properly sized filter driers.

Post Likes
    yup.. go ahead and mark down you'll need 2 compressors, 1 case of blue nu calgon coil cleaner, coil gun, 2 txv, 2 bottles nitro, and 2 properly sized filter driers.
    It don't have TXV's. It has cap tubes feeding each individual evap curcuit. Another genius Trane design!!!!

Post Likes
    yes, but with those coils being clogged, the pressures you gave me, and that superheat, im going to assume your filter drier is clogged and so is the orifice header. this is why i suggest the txv. trane has a txv retrofit kit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in