I hate those Carriers with the condenser side lower than the evaporator side. The locally owned Union shop I was working for sent the Foreman and an Apprentice, who by the way knows nothing about HVACR, after I let them know about the restriction on two units. All they did was double the nameplate charge!
On jobs like this I've always found that thermite grenades can be very handy. Oh right, never mind.
Six Very good slide show of how to correctly resolve the replacement of the header. I have never ran into this problem before, It's new to me. Thank you for the help.
I see no pics in post, but on preview?
Sent from my van
Originally Posted by Danielandersen2
Hmmm...just pull up the thread from your Lap top or desk top PC and they should pop up.
Originally Posted by Lance Gunn
I still run into local Technicians in town who struggle with this issue from time to time.
Most of the time they're trying to retro-fit with a TXV instead of going back with the factory part.
When I ask them why they're not going back with the factory header they usually tell me it's easier and cheaper to retro-fit a TXV into the unit but that's just not correct.
Replacing the factory header is a two hour job for a guy that's done it a couple of times and maybe a half a day for a tech who's doing his first one.
And it's a professional looking repair.
For the guys who like to retrofit a TXV into these units, how do you size the Nozzle orifice for the distributor ?
Are you buying a universal distributor assembly with a orifice or are you even using a nozzle ?
Because the last time I saw one of the TXV repairs it just had a bundle of 1/4 copper sweated straight into the discharge opening of the TXV with no nozzle assembly.
Originally Posted by ryan1088
I was 43 years Old when I started this thread, so I'm a bit older now.
I don't look it but hey what can I say.
I started doing Commercial and Industrial HVAC 20 years ago and I'm still here.
I had a similar problems with a York 5 ton. The owner told me that was running a little bit bad 3 weeks ago but the las 2 day it was not working. When I checked I was a leek in the ..Cap nozzle. With a TXV..
Like I know is difficult to brazing on it, probably get clogget. So I recycling the gas an put 5 psig of nitrogen to minimizing the carbon particles and change the dryer.... But when I charging I notice that 3 of the 8 cap gas no freezing with low charging when I done that caps was not working. Thinking that the silver clog it. I order a new cap. Nozzle.
The worse part.
When I come back to install it turn on the machine and the cap are working so good.. All of them.... I guess that was a peace of oil burnet that clogged it and the go away so. I pay 150 DLLs for the nozzler
I have the same problem with a carrier rooftop where the orifices are clogged and finding the parts to convert to a TXV isn't going well! I might have to remove and clean out each orifice like I did before and its very time consuming
Originally Posted by manny238
Have u tried contacting Sporlan? All they gotta know is how many distributors tubes u have and what tonnage is your machine. They can tell you what size of distribution tubes to use and also give you a part number for a distributer and txv valve. The first one you do could be a PITA, but once you do it a couple times it gets easier.
Originally Posted by bwd111
It could be different now though. I haven't installed one of those headers in years. Sometimes it is just better going back with a header. Back then it was always a waiting game for Carrier, those headers were back ordered like crazy. That's why I began installing txv valves.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guess we are going old school with this unit meaning I have to pull out coil and get access to all orifices and blow them out with nitrozen then sweat them back in . Good news its only 100 and not 103 degrees today! Then I have to replace a txv on a system that was replaced yesterday with a 410a condenser and the installer left the r-22 txv in place.
Originally Posted by manny238
Old thread but good information. I remember seeing another thread about this. I think it was PHM that started it. Have not run into this yet.
I took the evap out yesterday and cut out header to access all orfices and cleaned with small wire and used nitrogen! I will install Evap Monday and hope all is good. Lots of work and I took lots of pictures
Originally Posted by jnsrose