Thread: LRA

Confused LRA

On the condenser data plates you find the LRA. I assume this is the locked rotor amps. What exactly does this mean?? I had a small 1.5 ton unit today I'm pretty sure has a mechanical problem in the compressor. The compressor was shaking violently and drawing more amps than the LRA.

If compressor is pulling LRA then it needs to be replaced.

The LRA on the plate is what that compressor is tested at. I have seen alot of units run past that rating but not very long.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac meister View Post
    On the condenser data plates you find the LRA. I assume this is the locked rotor amps. What exactly does this mean?? I had a small 1.5 ton unit today I'm pretty sure has a mechanical problem in the compressor. The compressor was shaking violently and drawing more amps than the LRA.
    Your amp probe is defective!

I could see it run more the RLA, but I don't think it is possible to be more than the locked rotor amps... and be doing anything other than fireworks!

Quote Originally Posted by hvac meister View Post
    On the condenser data plates you find the LRA. I assume this is the locked rotor amps. What exactly does this mean??
    It is motor amp draw with the rotor "locked". It will be the maximum amp draw you should expect on start up.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

usually when any motor pulls anything close to the LRA it needs replacing

* remember this RLA x 5 = LRA (approx estimate)
    This comes in handy when the rating plate is gone and you wanna know what the LRA is.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

I had this happen as well, it was an '06 Goodman with a compressor drawing 198, LRA was 165. The scrolls must have come loose, as it was just rattling around inside before stopping that to just hum and then trip the breaker. Replace that junker!
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

Should have blown the fuse or breaker quick.

It lasted about two seconds before the breaker tripped. If it's pulling that kind of amps and DOESN'T trip the breaker? Try a hard start kit first. That's a sure-fire way to condemn the compressor.
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

Sorry everyone.... I meant the RLA rating is 10.6. Rated Load Amps. Check out this link I found on an earlier thread... https://opi.emersonclimate.com/CPID/...AEB/ae1250.pdf