Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Service Techs or Service frauds

With more and more companies turning to performance based pay, could this be the result of such practices. By the way performance based pay could be summed up as a low dollar per hour, with a lucrative commission pay out. What do you think.

Follow the link or copy and paste in your web browser:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/480803...upSa-GI.mailto
    Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions!!!

That is absolutely the case with some companies I know of at least a few in the phoenix area but I wont say any names. There is at least one that do not pay you on a Pm/ checkup unless you sell something

Unfortunately it's too much of the norm. I don't know how people sleep at night.

They get what they deserve! Sabotaging a unit!!! WTF!!!!

Performance base pay is an absolute joke! You spend years learning this craft and developing your skills as tech and some jerkoff owner decides "the bottom line could be better" forcing TECHS to become SALESMAN. I know as a tech that sales comes with the territory, but when it becomes necessary to sell in order to make a living that's when I'm out of this business! What ever happened to an HONEST DAYS WORK FOR AN HONEST DAYS PAY! I feel bad for guys starting out in this trade, lots to learn and no one to teach em, just get in the truck and do your worst! We can all thank the Airtime 500 crowd and even Ron Smith for this! Just a note here I like Ron Smiths book, I think that some companies take the "spiff pay" a little to far.

There is an advantage of commission base and hourly base in residential. Most owners are not dishonest, they choose commission base is because they want to make sure that's their techs are doing what they are supposed to do. On an hourly base tech, the owner has limited controls over what he is doing or simply doing nothing at all, time theft is money theft (Which also means dishonest to the company). I used to work for hourly based and commissional based company. All I have to tell you is that some techs that are on hourly are too lazy, some won't even bother checking the system at all. On a commissional base, some techs just trying to find something wrong and go to the next job. I am not saying that hourly techs are time theft or commissional base techs are dishonest. It all depends on the the tech. I myself are currently working on a commssional based company, and fortunately for me, my owner doesnt tell us to sell, sell, sell, sell. Does he wants to be profit? Absolutely, who doesn't? if you are a business owner, and you don't make any profit, then what's the point of openning a business. Just my two cents, if I was the owner, I would pay my techs as commission, but also do not pressure them into just making the numbers, and will not fire them base on revenue. that will make alot of dishonest techs. Sometimes it is not really the tech that want to be dishonest, it's the owner that pressured him into it.

Around here, we see sales techs who push new equipment every time something is broken. We've had a number where all the machine needed was a dual cap but the HO was told the machine was shot or needed 4 digits worth of repairs to work again. Or the lady yesterday with a 4 year old coil and 6 year old A/C told they needed a 4 digit TXV instead of being honest and saying they could get a warranty part and change it for a reasonable amount.

Or the boiler owner who was told she had a crack in her heat exchanger and CO was pouring into the house. Duh! If you are going to be a crook, at least come up with a reasonable story.

I think they are all predators, the news and the crooked contractors, none of the are earning their keep. The media tells us lies and deceives us just like the crooked contractors. Remember the media is putting our country in a hole with their propaganda.

I'm actually grateful for boneheads like those mutts. I remember years ago hiring a company to do my seasonal check-up one summer because my regular one could not come. Everything was fine until the fall when I tried to fire up my furnace. It didn't fire and, not having any coin for major service, I popped the panel for a look see. I found the ignitor wire had been disconnected and carefully tucked behind the ignitor. 'Twas the moment I realized I could service these puppies myself and got my cert not long after that.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Any service business that involves parts is ripe for abuse more often than not when the guys in the field have to depend on selling those parts for a decent wage. There will come a time when even the most straight up techs will get tempted. All it takes is some sudden budget problems at home and a blown cap becomes a condensor motor too. The weed whacked or mouse chewed stat wire at the unit turns into circuit boards.....

It is not an easy temptation to avoid when you are trustworthy. Place this apple in front of the borderline techs and it's not a huge step to take a bite. I began in this biz about 33 years ago working for a company with shady ways and know too well the underbelly. Two of the salesmen ending up behind bars for fraud.

This argument of hourly guys slacking off and being lazy does not really hold much water for me. Even if it did I'd rather fire a guy for being a lazy deadbeat over firing him for ripping my customers off.

I just watched it. Yep. I think we can all agree on one thing though. I trust the news about as far as I can spit. This sting was planned in advance for certain. That is all well and good. This also means they had plenty of time to call in companies well known for these scams to make for a juicy piece. Odd that not one firm was honest and I think we all no better than that.
    Boy I have a list of trucks in my area I would love to see displayed this well on the news!

""The experts that we had check this unit say that the capacitor is fine, the contractors are fine, so why were you going to charge her $850?""

Did the experts mean contactors

This reminds me of Jiffy Lube scandal. There is clearly unnecessary replacement, clearly necessary and grey area.

If you don't address the grey area, a return call is highly likely.

If a call was to address a leak, installing new schrader cores is a sound decision in my opinion, but that's more of a diagnostic step to rule out a cause of leak for tech's own benefit as well. If it was billed as minor supplies, it would be seen as honest, but if it was itemized as costly parts, the company would be under greater scrutiny to demonstrate the need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast