Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Static Pressure

The plumber had told me that code at that time was all water heaters located in basements at that time had to be on stands, he said that code had been changed sometime over the past few years, I didn't get into why. I see a link to post a photo here, but I'm having difficulty figuring how to attach, or I would send you a photo of my waterheater beside my furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurney View Post
    The plumber had told me that code at that time was all water heaters located in basements at that time had to be on stands, he said that code had been changed sometime over the past few years, I didn't get into why. I see a link to post a photo here, but I'm having difficulty figuring how to attach, or I would send you a photo of my waterheater beside my furnace.
    Where are you located and I will see what code you are under? I have been teaching code compliance for many years and have never heard of this and would like to know what code it is under and why?

Alpharetta, Ga, which is a suburb of Atlanta in Forsyth County.

Alpharetta, Ga, which is a suburb of Atlanta in Forsyth County.
    You should be under 2006 IRC, IFGC, IBC, and IPC. None of which has or had any requirements for a wh on a stand. You want o make sure there is not a return air within 10 feet of the furnace or water heater if it is not sealed combustion.

How do I tell a sealed combustion from one that isn't?

yes, allergies are an issue in my household. My 1st floor has 4 returns presently, plus a 5th in the basement now. But the idea of enlarging the return in the basement makes me think. The guy that installed put on a supply register that closes here, as he said I might like to close in winter and leave open in summer. Thoughts.
    Also yesterday was very humid here in ATL, all my windows had dew on the outside. Is this just due to humitity or is this part of my issue as well?
    Do you have single pane glass windows? If you have double pane and there is dew... you might have bad seals on your windows.

So there is a supply register now in the basement now? If your house originally didn't have supplies and returns in the basement then now the space is considered conditioned and your ac/furnace will have to work extra hard to cool down or heat the basement space.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

palmeri

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Where are you located and I will see what code you are under? I have been teaching code compliance for many years and have never heard of this and would like to know what code it is under and why?
    do all water heaters in indianapolis have to be on stands or just the natural vented? I see alot on stands just never thought about it I guess, not much of a code guy I guess so I need you on my friends for when i have a question lol

Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    Basically if you need 0.8 static pressure and your fan can only product 0.5 then you will get less air flow as seen in your far runs.

I would get a measurement of all the airflow at your supply and return registers. Then see if your supply airflow levels match your return airflow levels. Most houses (at least in California) have a single return... so instead of adding more returns, you might be able to just enlarge your return that is 5' from your furnace. The fancy 4" filter is great for air quality, but seems to add 0.2 in static pressure loss. Maybe the easiest fix is to just replace your 4" filter with a 1" standard filter, but I don't know how your allergies are or it you like the extra filtration.
    I dont know a lot about codes but I'm sure that a 4" filter is way more efficient than a 1" seems backwards but no doubt about it!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacmike85 View Post
    I dont know a lot about codes but I'm sure that a 4" filter is way more efficient than a 1" seems backwards but no doubt about it!
    I haven't done that much research on static pressure loss of a 4" vs. a 1" but I think all the manufacturers I saw... a 1" has lower pressure drop. I could be wrong though.
    You can call me Sam

Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    I haven't done that much research on static pressure loss of a 4" vs. a 1" but I think all the manufacturers I saw... a 1" has lower pressure drop. I could be wrong though.
    When considering pleated filters the 1" deep filter has the most pressure-drop, it is one of the worst; the deeper filters have deeper pleats therefore, more surface area & a little less pressure-drop.

The cheap throw-away media filters have a low pressure drop but require large filter areas to achieve lower velocity through them.

The initial airflow velocity through a media filter is 300-fpm; Pleated often start at 500-fpm, but they would perform better with less pressure-drop if their area was sized for an initial 300-fpm velocity...

Good to know, thanks udarrell.
    You can call me Sam

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    When considering pleated filters the 1" deep filter has the most pressure-drop, it is one of the worst; the deeper filters have deeper pleats therefore, more surface area & a little less pressure-drop.

The cheap throw-away media filters have a low pressure drop but require large filter areas to achieve lower velocity through them.

The initial airflow velocity through a media filter is 300-fpm; Pleated often start at 500-fpm, but they would perform better with less pressure-drop if their area was sized for an initial 300-fpm velocity...
    What is better than a 4-5 inch filter? I dont have alot of faith in eac units but I know they came out with the filter/eac in one yrs ago havent seen too many though. I have heard of hepa filters in holmes but I would think that would have to have a good blower to overcome a 13-19 merv?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast