Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

19FA bearing temp sensor and thrust sensor...

Hey guys! I'm working on a 19FA. I'm fairly new to this model chiller. It seems that the problem of breaking wires on the bearing temp sensor and thrust sensor are a common failure on these machines. We try to keep the oil at a 1/4 level in top glass to prevent the oil from slugging around and hitting the sensor wires, we have also tried shrink wrapping and zip tying the wires in place. They still seem to get broken. any ideas or previous run ins with this? any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Does the sensor have the two stranded wires that are separated or sheathed together?

Quote Originally Posted by spinning wheel View Post
    Does the sensor have the two stranded wires that are separated or sheathed together?
    Two seperate white, stranded wires.

and the chiller was also updated to 134a with the updated microprocessor. it that makes a difference.

What part # is the one you are using and is it a MP or PIC at least?
    How long is the probe?1.38" or 2" long

total length of the probe, front end of nut to end of probe is 2 3/8" , from bottom of threads to end of probe 1 3/8"

don't remember the part number, didn't bring the new one home with me. HH -----Z???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Normally they are protected in a piece of copper that runs over to the terminals. Where are they breaking? Is it both sensors (thrust bearing temp. and shaft displacement) or just the one.Have you replaced it once before and a new one broke also? I have quite a few of these machines and have not run into this problem. The part number is HH79NZ050 if it is an MP or Pic.

The one that breaks the most is the bearing temp sensor, there are no copper lines in this one....... just the wires running from the senor to the terminals. they seem to break right where the wires go into the sensor. I've been with this company for a year now, and have replaced the bearing temp on one machine twice, the runout on the same machine once, and now working on replacing the bearing temp on the other machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    Normally they are protected in a piece of copper that runs over to the terminals. Where are they breaking? Is it both sensors (thrust bearing temp. and shaft displacement) or just the one.Have you replaced it once before and a new one broke also? I have quite a few of these machines and have not run into this problem. The part number is HH79NZ050 if it is an MP or Pic.
    yes that is the part number.

We use to cut them occasionally sliding the volute back on.

I've never seen one break from wear.

Sorry if there was confusion, the sensor itself is not breaking. It's the wires that are breaking. The only conclusion we can gather is that when the oil level gets to high, the sloshing of the oil is banging the wires around and causing them to break. Here's a pic of one of the temp sensors that was pulled out during the annual work, we caught it before it actually broke. look at the lower wire right at the connection to the sensor itself.

where do you normally run the oil level? we try to keep it in top sight glass about 1/4 glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.8 KB, 29 views)

that oil level is fine but if you wanted to drop it to the top of the lower glass you would be fine. When the sensor is in is there strain on the wire at that point, also you might want to try putting copper around the wires, the oil is gonna be spraying in there since the bull and pinion are lubed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast