Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    I'm curious, where was the original leak that they found and fixed located?
    Near the service valves, where it makes a 90 degree bend. I had them replace the Schrader cores today in case they got overheated during this repair. I had to come up with that myself, with you guy's help, or it wouldn't have gotten done. As for whether this repair was imaginary - nothing would surprise me at this point. They found it by spraying bubbles. The tech tried to show me the bubbles coming out. Honestly, I had trouble seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    First. adding dye will void your warranty it will cause copper plating to the bearings.
    Would this apply to the refrigerants that come pre-mixed with dye?

Quote Originally Posted by brucezas View Post
    Would this apply to the refrigerants that come pre-mixed with dye?
    Yes

Depending on the process and length of hoses on the refrigerant gauges that are used by the contractor when attaching and removing the hoses could loose 3 to 6 ounces each time.
    So does this mean that if they check the refrigerant every year, that every so often you would expect them to have to add refrigerant to make up for the losses? Also, help me understand this: they make a reading, and then when they take the gauges off they take refrigerant away so immediately your pressure is lower than what they measured? Then the next year the guy measures it to be too low? Or do they take it away first, and then it immediately reads lower than what is was, and that's the pressure you get until the next year? But if it reads low, they fill it until it reads correctly, or they overfill it to account for what they take away? LOL

So does this mean that if they check the refrigerant every year, that every so often you would expect them to have to add refrigerant to make up for the losses? Also, help me understand this: they make a reading, and then when they take the gauges off they take refrigerant away so immediately your pressure is lower than what they measured? Then the next year the guy measures it to be too low? Or do they take it away first, and then it immediately reads lower than what is was, and that's the pressure you get until the next year? But if it reads low, they fill it until it reads correctly, or they overfill it to account for what they take away? LOL
    Yes in most cases refrigerant is removed each time the gauges are installed and removed.

Year to year if 3 or four ounces are removed you are not going to notice the effect for several years. A system running 12 to 15 pound of refrigerant is not easy to detect ounces missing from charge.

Yes in most cases refrigerant is removed each time the gauges are installed and removed.

Year to year if 3 or four ounces are removed you are not going to notice the effect for several years. A system running 12 to 15 pound of refrigerant is not easy to detect ounces missing from charge.
    Is it possible that my system only holds 5 to 6 pounds? Because 5 pounds 7 ounces was added when the leak was repaired. How much would the deficit have to be before it starts affecting the cooling to a noticeable degree?

Is it possible that my system only holds 5 to 6 pounds? Because 5 pounds 7 ounces was added when the leak was repaired. How much would the deficit have to be before it starts affecting the cooling to a noticeable degree?
    Post your outdoor unit and indoor coil and refrigerant line length and size. You can estimate the line length but try to get close.

Post your outdoor unit and indoor coil and refrigerant line length and size. You can estimate the line length but try to get close.
    Not sure if this is what you want but:

Outdoor Unit: Allegiance 13 2 ton: Model 2A7A3024A1000AA

Evaporator: ADP w/TXV max 450 psi R-22 Model TE31424D175B1605AP

The line goes through walls and floors, but from where it disappears into the evaporator box to where it disappears into the condenser seems to be about 33 feet, but it was hard to measure. One line seems to be 2 inches around, while the other is 1.5 inches.

Where the line goes into the evaporator, it drips sometimes, onto the floor. I'm assuming condensation, but not sure...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12