Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Dye Void a Warranty?

The dealer who is performing maintenance on my a/c system says that they don't want to add dye because it can void the factory warranty. Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone had a warranty honored despite dye being in the system? I have an American Standard unit with an ADP evaporator.

This is new to me. I personally don't like dye due to it being a foreign object in the system. It does make a mess when injecting. But voiding a warranty...i don't think it would.. Why is dye needing to be added? Leaking i would assume? How old is system? Is there even any warranty left on system?

I have heard that it can void the warranty, if the factory finds out. So from that I get if you don't tell and they don't ask for the part back, you're probably ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazecodyk View Post
    Why is dye needing to be added? Leaking i would assume? How old is system? Is there even any warranty left on system?
    It's only 3 years old, but it has needed to have R-22 added every year. The parts are still under warranty. Last year a leak was repaired. But it came up a few ounces short again this year. It passed its leak test (pressure and vacuum), so I'm thinking I may need dye to catch an intermittent or very slow leak. More details in the thread "Freon Leaks".

This is a occassional problem in that the system looses a small amount of charge each year and can't be found. Aggravating to both the contractor and you the customer. And company (manufacturer's) warranty does not typically cover freon in warranty, especially if the leak cannot be found. If dye is added, it still has to be found (the leak). A good high quality leak detector usually finds a leak, but then again, not always!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    This is a occassional problem in that the system looses a small amount of charge each year and can't be found. Aggravating to both the contractor and you the customer.
    You can say that again. I'm so pissed off right now. I was just in a shouting match with the guy that was here. He replaced my Schrader cores after I twisted their arm. He only replaced the caps before. I wanted him to put a leak detector next to my A-coil to see if there was a buildup of vapor in there. I was told that this would register quickly if the coil was bad. He had to talk on the phone for half an hour to his boss to get it approved. Then his boss told him just to sniff around the outside without even taking a panel off. I made him go inside by the coil. The unit went off like crazy, but he said that it could just be the air setting it off because it wasn't warmed up. I don't think he had a clue how to use that thing. Then he tells me about all the work they've done for me for free, and they refuse to do anymore. AFAIC, nothing was free. I paid a lot of money for them to make sure the unit isn't losing freon. It is losing freon, and they aren't doing what it takes to find out why. I wouldn't mind paying for them to actually fix something, but I think that they don't want to find a leak because then they might have to fix it under warranty.

I need a second opinion. How do I find someone who actually knows what they're doing? If another company finds an installation problem, would the original company still have to pay under their labor warranty? The labor warranty is expired, but there could be problems that were there from the start.

I think you need to contact the manufacturer's service rep. at this point and see what they'll do. Sounds like you are getting "minimal" response from installing company. How large an amount are you losing each year?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    I think you need to contact the manufacturer's service rep. at this point and see what they'll do. Sounds like you are getting "minimal" response from installing company.
    I think that's what I'll have to do.

How large an amount are you losing each year?
    It was just a few ounces this year. What is reasonable to expect them to do in these cases where it is just a little short? They don't seem to be convinced that it is still leaking, or at least that's what the tech says, so they don't want to do anything right now. But the coolant had to go somewhere. Shouldn't they take an hour or so to carefully probe with a leak detector? Maybe inject some dye in case it leaks again?

Quote Originally Posted by brucezas View Post
    I think that's what I'll have to do.

It was just a few ounces this year. What is reasonable to expect them to do in these cases where it is just a little short? They don't seem to be convinced that it is still leaking, or at least that's what the tech says, so they don't want to do anything right now. But the coolant had to go somewhere. Shouldn't they take an hour or so to carefully probe with a leak detector? Maybe inject some dye in case it leaks again?
    First. adding dye will void your warranty it will cause copper plating to the bearings.
    Secondly how did they determine that it was a "few ounces low?

The chances of the ordinary average contractor would not be able to detect a few ounces of refrigerant loss. Depending on the process and length of hoses on the refrigerant gauges that are used by the contractor when attaching and removing the hoses could loose 3 to 6 ounces each time.

I'm curious, where was the original leak that they found and fixed located?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    I'm curious, where was the original leak that they found and fixed located?
    Imaginary CYA

Emerson's copeland brand of compressor's has approved the use of the Spectroline brand of dye in their compressors. Only mfg that I know of that has given approval to the use of a dye.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    First. adding dye will void your warranty it will cause copper plating to the bearings.
    Secondly how did they determine that it was a "few ounces low?

The chances of the ordinary average contractor would not be able to detect a few ounces of refrigerant loss. Depending on the process and length of hoses on the refrigerant gauges that are used by the contractor when attaching and removing the hoses could loose 3 to 6 ounces each time.
    I asked him today how much he removes when he checks it, and if this could this be a few ounces. He said that unlike other techs, he does something to minimize this. I think he said that he fills the hoses with coolant first, if that makes any sense to you. He showed me how much other techs might take out on the hose, and how much he takes out which was a much shorter length of hose.

It's possible that the tech who set the level last year was not as accurate. Now the new tech is pissed at me because I used that information in negotiations with his boss, and he didn't want to throw the other tech under the bus. Like I have time for the politics of my a/c company. He had pulled his gauges out of the van to remeasure the pressure, and I could swear that he put them back in his van without measuring it after this conversation. He said he measured it, and it was 80 psi. I never saw him do that. I feel like he either got distracted and forgot, or I reminded him that the reading could come up low just due to that, and he didn't want me to see that. I told him that I thought he didn't check it, and then he really got pissed. "You calling me a liar now?". God, what a nightmare.

It is starting to sound very possible from you guys that the level was just not set that accurately. Hell, maybe this guy is some great tech capable of measuring things that others can't, and I'm actually penalizing him for it by worrying about things that may not be a sign of a leak at all. You think? Would I expect to experience a cooling loss by being a few ounces low? Because I have been experiencing a cooling loss, both before and after he supposedly adjusted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast