Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    IMO a 9MM is a joke... and I doubt she could handle the kick of a .45 ACP... my personal protection is a 1911 style .45 Kimber.
    LOL@ 9MM being a joke. Ask my friend John and his wife who are both 6 feet under. He took 2 rounds, she took one. As. far as 9mm vs. 38... http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1058324

If I could give you a link to the private motorcycle site which is seemingly 40% military or ex military I would,(private site, invite only) They all choose Glock or Springfield, The majority Springfield, For conceal carry, the majority choose the XDM9. For me, before I joined the site, I chose the XD9 based on feel. I wanted to like the glock for reliability, but it just did not feel good in my hand.

Of course the 45 packs more punch, but not ideal for concealed carry, and not for a 70 year old woman, even if she is still well able.

Anyway, back to the O.P. Just like I did, and most other ppl do, and you said. You are just going to have to let her shoot a few and see what she likes, and feels right in her hand.

Sorry for the long post, but lastly, revolver vs. semi...I have never owned a revolver, so I can't speak to that. I can only say I have fired thousands of rounds through my XD9 at the range and it never has jammed once, And my buddy who I always go with has done the same through his Springfield 45, and I never saw him have a jam either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1KRR View Post
    LOL@ 9MM being a joke. Ask my friend John and his wife who are both 6 feet under. He took 2 rounds, she took one. As. far as 9mm vs. 38... http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1058324

If I could give you a link to the private motorcycle site which is seemingly 40% military or ex military I would,(private site, invite only) They all choose Glock or Springfield, The majority Springfield, For conceal carry, the majority choose the XDM9. For me, before I joined the site, I chose the XD9 based on feel. I wanted to like the glock for reliability, but it just did not feel good in my hand.

Of course the 45 packs more punch, but not ideal for concealed carry, and not for a 70 year old woman, even if she is still well able.

Anyway, back to the O.P. Just like I did, and most other ppl do, and you said. You are just going to have to let her shoot a few and see what she likes, and feels right in her hand.

Sorry for the long post, but lastly, revolver vs. semi...I have never owned a revolver, so I can't speak to that. I can only say I have fired thousands of rounds through my XD9 at the range and it never has jammed once, And my buddy who I always go with has done the same through his Springfield 45, and I never saw him have a jam either.
    My reasoning for not liking the 9MM is based on Mossad Ayoub's discussion about 'knock-down' force. There is an initial 'wham' (kinetic energy) along with 'shock' (body reaction to injury). The former is simple physics... the 9MM does not have much punch. The latter, however, is IMO the key to an effective personal protection weapon.

When a projectile from a gun enters the body, there is a physiological reaction similar to 'shock from an injury'. Part of it is the body covering the pain reflex for a short time, and the other is dis-orientation from the severity of the injury. Simply put... the larger the injury (think hollow point expanding and maybe tumbling a little); along with the impact, causes a greater 'shock impact'.

Ayoub thinks the .45 is the better carry weapon, simply because of the 'shock' factor.

Asyoub and I agree on another issue also: There is less chance of a .45 going through an entire house and into another causing collateral damage... whoops...

Not knocking others choices in ballistics... I just think the 9MM not really hefty enough for my sense of personal protection. Having said that... I truly pray I never have to use it to take a life... not a thing I want on my conscience.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

If the 9mm were not effective, then why does the U.S. Military use a Beretta 9mm as their issued side arm?

The 9mm Luger was adopted by NATO, the U.S. Military, and close to a million police officers worldwide. The 9mm Luger has 35% more muzzle energy than the 38 special, 10% more muzzle energy than the 44 special, and rivals the energy of hot 45 ACP loadings. For longer distances, the 9mm Luger is flatter shooting than the 40 S&W or 45 ACP. The 9mm is no sissy cartridge.

FBI 9mm testing

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

From what I read a while back... NATO was not happy with the 9; and is moving away from it.

Also LE types think they need more 'punch'... and are moving away from it...

One advantage the 9 does have is more ammo in a mag... kinda hard to get a mag for a .45 that holds 16-18-20 rounds...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I think a .22 is clearly too wimpy a caliber although Ruger does have a .22 Mag pistol. What do you think about a .32?
    Obviously I wouldn't go head hunting with a 22. The reason I would chose a 22 for a beginner is to teach the basics of acquiring a target. Being able to shoot a tight group is confidence building. A 32 would be ok too.
    Once the shooter is proficient going to a larger cal for specific target is ez.
    Someone mentioned a shotgun for home defense. I agree it's the best choice for the big flash, big noise, and you probably won't shoot your neighbor. What I don't agree with is not aiming the weapon. Aiming is even more important in any life threatening situation. In close quarters a shot pattern will smaller and needs to be more accurate.
    As far as age goes I don't think it counts for much. My Grandson is 8 and shoots skeet with a 410 next to adults with 12 ga.
    Tracers work both ways.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I will take my .45s up next visit and see how she handles it. She has shot pistols in the past. If all is okay then I am thinking a .38 for future considerations. If any doubts, then a .32.

That is a good working initial plan.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Hey, if she's got good insurance maybe you can pick up a flame thrower. No kick back and they got a good spread.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    If the 9mm were not effective, then why does the U.S. Military use a Beretta 9mm as their issued side arm?

The 9mm Luger was adopted by NATO, the U.S. Military, and close to a million police officers worldwide. The 9mm Luger has 35% more muzzle energy than the 38 special, 10% more muzzle energy than the 44 special, and rivals the energy of hot 45 ACP loadings. For longer distances, the 9mm Luger is flatter shooting than the 40 S&W or 45 ACP. The 9mm is no sissy cartridge.

FBI 9mm testing

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm
    the reason the military uses the 9mm is weight and number of rounds a man can carry, the military also stresses shot placement over firepower.

the 9 has plenty of knockdown power and is an excellent round.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip
    Something simple like a 38 revolver.
    This was my first thought as well. A small Smith J frame is hard to beat...

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker

Obviously I wouldn't go head hunting with a 22. The reason I would chose a 22 for a beginner is to teach the basics of acquiring a target. Being able to shoot a tight group is confidence building. A 32 would be ok too.
    Once the shooter is proficient going to a larger cal for specific target is ez.
    Someone mentioned a shotgun for home defense. I agree it's the best choice for the big flash, big noise, and you probably won't shoot your neighbor. What I don't agree with is not aiming the weapon. Aiming is even more important in any life threatening situation. In close quarters a shot pattern will smaller and needs to be more accurate.
    As far as age goes I don't think it counts for much. My Grandson is 8 and shoots skeet with a 410 next to adults with 12 ga.
    At in-house confrontation distances, a shotgun isn't a whole lot different than a rifle. All that shot, all clustered up in a near solid chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This was my first thought as well. A small Smith J frame is hard to beat...

At in-house confrontation distances, a shotgun isn't a whole lot different than a rifle. All that shot, all clustered up in a near solid chunk.
    Yes, so aim that shot. My choice was based only on the distance the shot could take and the fear factor. People will argue choices for the home and it's more than just the gun.
    That's one experience I can do without.
    Tracers work both ways.

Just my ;

One of the MOST important things in owning a firearm is training! And training, and training, and training, and more training!

Then the second most important thing is practice, and practice, and practice, and more practice.

IMO, someone with a gun who does not know how to use it and is not comfortable (trained and in practice)... well they may be a hazard to themselves as well as everyone else.

Not that it is that hard to hit a big bad guy at 10-15 ft... however the stray fire collateral damage is not good. Better for all the shots to hit what they were intended to.

You realize if you get your Mom a piece, you will be obligated to take her to the range weekly for mos so it will become second nature. Then she will become a shootin' granny... and probably outlive you... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Just my ;

One of the MOST important things in owning a firearm is training! And training, and training, and training, and more training!

Then the second most important thing is practice, and practice, and practice, and more practice.

IMO, someone with a gun who does not know how to use it and is not comfortable (trained and in practice)... well they may be a hazard to themselves as well as everyone else.

Not that it is that hard to hit a big bad guy at 10-15 ft... however the stray fire collateral damage is not good. Better for all the shots to hit what they were intended to.

You realize if you get your Mom a piece, you will be obligated to take her to the range weekly for mos so it will become second nature. Then she will become a shootin' granny... and probably outlive you... <grin>
    It's not that hard to hit that big bad guy at 10-15 ft. unless you get the first time jitters.....remember that first deer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast