Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    22 cal. handgun, like a Ruger semi auto pistol, and a Rem. 870 pump 20 gauge.

I like my .222 for varmints. It will handle about any critter you would encounter on a farm, and Polar Bears!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/3789670/1

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I believe the best approach to learning firearms is to learn the basics first and I believe that's best done small cal. Learning firearms is more than shooting rounds at bottles.
    When a shooter can concentrate on breath control, trigger squeeze, positions etc. and enjoy the target results they are more likely to stick with it..
    Many people don't enjoy large cal especially in pistols for more than a dozen rounds or so. It takes hundreds of rounds to get reliable results and one of the most affordable is the 22. Big cal can be intimidating in the beginning and usually w/o good results.
    I think a .22 is clearly too wimpy a caliber although Ruger does have a .22 Mag pistol. What do you think about a .32?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I think a .22 is clearly too wimpy a caliber although Ruger does have a .22 Mag pistol. What do you think about a .32?
    Ever seen an alligator killed with a .22? It's not about how powerful the weapon is...but how good of a marksman you are.

I agree with the other guys....if it's home invasion or hogs you are worried about get her a shotgun...don't have to aim...low recoil....and they are a lot more scary in my opinion.

Let her try that judge out. Thats a nice gun for doing what you mentioned. I would love to have one.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

For home protection I think Choolwhip hit the nail on the head. A 38 is manageable for an elderly person with lots of choice of ammunition, and reliable . If she is wanting to get varmints, racoons, rockchuck, squirels etc. I would get a .17 cal HMR rifle. Allot higher velocity over a 22 mag with great impact/ stopping power. The problem with rifles is you need to practice. Would your mom actually do that? Yeah yeah, pistols take practice too but most hand gun confrontations occur at less than 5 feet.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I agree with the revolver. For a rifle, How about a lever action in .357? Now there is a Granny gun.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...fire/1894c.asp
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Here Get her one of these. In 38 super, you can unload 21 rounds in about 12 seconds with virtually no recoil and with the big Mag Well at the base of the handle you can reload in about .75 seconds ( At least I can )

http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-match-master/

oh ya, be ready to unload about $3 G's
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by TriplePoint View Post
    Let her try that judge out. Thats a nice gun for doing what you mentioned. I would love to have one.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE
    I will take it for a tryout. Along with my Ruger .45. Neither one really has that bad of a recoil in my opinion, and she is a strong woman. She has shot pistols and rifles some in her past as a typical farm girl might have opportunity. She has shot and indicated a preference for a semi-auto pistol, but any of those can jam. Now I can un-jam one, but not so sure she can so it becomes a useless paper-weight. Hence the recommendation of a revolver of some sort.

She is not going to want a rifle. She likes to walk the property and goes 4-wheeling on an ATV out there. She wants something easy to pack around. They have wild pigs that have moved into the area, and claim to have seen a cougar. Basically, just not feeling safe out-and-about on the property. She recently stumbled across an unoccupied hog wallow, I would also have been uncomfortable if unarmed. Hogs attack if they have little ones around, I once saw a 'domestic' hog attack a man. Scary.

I can mention the shotgun idea, but I don't think that is what she wants either.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Here Get her one of these. In 38 super, you can unload 21 rounds in about 12 seconds with virtually no recoil and with the big Mag Well at the base of the handle you can reload in about .75 seconds ( At least I can )

http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-match-master/

oh ya, be ready to unload about $3 G's
    Rambo mom?

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Rambo mom?
    seriously, there is virtually no recoil. She'll think she is shooting a 22.

get her six or seven Mag's and a nice Dillon 550B reloading machine and she will be competitive in a month
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

For an elderly person, I think a .38 special or chief is a good choice. Easy to shoot, never jamb, simple to handle, ammo is readily available... AND it has a significant amount of knock-down punch without as much kick.

IMO a 9MM is a joke... and I doubt she could handle the kick of a .45 ACP... my personal protection is a 1911 style .45 Kimber.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    For an elderly person, I think a .38 special or chief is a good choice. Easy to shoot, never jamb, simple to handle, ammo is readily available... AND it has a significant amount of knock-down punch without as much kick.

IMO a 9MM is a joke... and I doubt she could handle the kick of a .45 ACP... my personal protection is a 1911 style .45 Kimber.
    .38 does seem to be the more popular caliber.

Start her out with the .22 then move her up in caliber as her comfort level and proficiency warrants.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast