Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Proud son, mom wants a gun.

I told her I would bring up my guns next time and she can check them out. We will go shooting in the creek. I have a .45 Ruger blackhawk and a judge 3" .45 that shoots .410 shot rounds. 5 .41 slugs out of the judge is probably about as devastating as anything you can get your hands on, I am willing to just give her the judge. Double action, swing out cylinder {S/W copycat} but she is pushing 70 so I am a little concerned that the recoil may be too much. Mind you, the recoil is not bad at all, but maybe something like a .32 would be more appropriate. Thoughts?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I love the Colt judge. Hand Cannon.

My judge is actually a Taurus product, I kinda think mom will like it, but it does kick a little bit. I personally think that it is the best self-defense weapon [my concern], but she is more worried about wild hogs, cougars, and other things that go 'bump in the night'.

She did report a growling sound from up to the north of the property, and the sheep farmed there going nutty. Soon after a similar growling sound from the south of the property. Might have been a raccoon.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I'm kinda doing a similar thing with my mom here for a couple of reasons...
    She lost her husband (my Dad) right around a year ago, And is just not feeling super safe despite a pit bull in the house. (the dog is a ppl lover, but dogs believe all dogs know when something is not right, and react accordingly) Unfortunately, dogs are not bullet proof...

I'm a big Springfield fan, so I steered her toward an XD9, (9mm) In my experience, the ammo is cheap enough where you can get some practice at the range without breaking you, and the stopping power is decent enough, even if you have to pull the trigger a second time.

Something simple like a 38 revolver.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1KRR View Post
    I'm kinda doing a similar thing with my mom here for a couple of reasons...
    She lost her husband (my Dad) right around a year ago, And is just not feeling super safe despite a pit bull in the house. (the dog is a ppl lover, but dogs believe all dogs know when something is not right, and react accordingly) Unfortunately, dogs are not bullet proof...

I'm a big Springfield fan, so I steered her toward an XD9, (9mm) In my experience, the ammo is cheap enough where you can get some practice at the range without breaking you, and the stopping power is decent enough, even if you have to pull the trigger a second time.
    http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/springfield-xd9/

At a glance that looks like a great gun if she insists on a semi, I am personally into revolvers for reliability. She did perhaps mention a preference for a semi one time, one she had shot but I cannot remember the make/model. Looks rather heavy for a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Something simple like a 38 revolver.
    A revolver will never jam.

Exactly, and so simple to operate even a cave man can do it.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

If its wildlife thats the concern I would be leaning towards a rifle, not a handgun. 22 mag. is a great gun. quiet, no recoil, extremely accurate

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    If its wildlife thats the concern I would be leaning towards a rifle, not a handgun. 22 mag. is a great gun. quiet, no recoil, extremely accurate
    I agree.....there's no reason for a 70 year old woman to own anything like a Judge...especially when trying to shoot a raccoon....the target is so small recoil from the pistol would likely make her miss, then you either have a fleeing for their life raccoon or a rabid pissed off I'll eat your soul raccoon....and all that is if she can keep the pistol from recoiling into her face.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I agree.....there's no reason for a 70 year old woman to own anything like a Judge...especially when trying to shoot a raccoon....the target is so small recoil from the pistol would likely make her miss, then you either have a fleeing for their life raccoon or a rabid pissed off I'll eat your soul raccoon....and all that is if she can keep the pistol from recoiling into her face.
    She has a .22 rifle. The concern is more about wild hogs, cougar, and of course possible home human intruder situation. Also ease of carrying it about the farm, so she needs some sort of pistol I am not sure what caliber to with. All I own is .45s.

I believe the best approach to learning firearms is to learn the basics first and I believe that's best done small cal. Learning firearms is more than shooting rounds at bottles.
    When a shooter can concentrate on breath control, trigger squeeze, positions etc. and enjoy the target results they are more likely to stick with it..
    Many people don't enjoy large cal especially in pistols for more than a dozen rounds or so. It takes hundreds of rounds to get reliable results and one of the most affordable is the 22. Big cal can be intimidating in the beginning and usually w/o good results.
    Tracers work both ways.

If it's

home invasion your worried about, get her a sawed off shotgun. Don't even have to aim and the pattern will fill any doorway.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast