+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condensers do great in 150 degrees

Post Likes

Condensers do great in 150 degrees

I saw this today. Went to a call on a W/I freezer. 2 of 3 condensers in the attic. Today was a cooler day so it was only about 120 in the attic. But it gets over 150 regularly in attics in the summer where i live. When you add the heat from the equipment, well lets just say these compressors are going to have short lives!

Post Likes
    Does Lintern make a condensing unit for walk in freezers? Haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-HVAC/R View Post
    I saw this today. Went to a call on a W/I freezer. 2 of 3 condensers in the attic. Today was a cooler day so it was only about 120 in the attic. But it gets over 150 regularly in attics in the summer where i live. When you add the heat from the equipment, well lets just say these compressors are going to have short lives!
    No way could that freezer keep temp with that ambient

Unless it was way oversize

On the plus side the hot water tank is happy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    No way could that freezer keep temp with that ambient

Unless it was way oversize

On the plus side the hot water tank is happy
    Well it was definitely oversized. Its all pretty new equipment. I give it 3 years max!

Post Likes
    Wow, that's wild.

I see stuff like that here and there when it is wide open to a warehouse with a lot of breathing room. Not fully trapped in an attic as it looks in the pic.
    If it is working somehow, I would not want their electric bill.

Post Likes
    Well it was definitely oversized. Its all pretty new equipment. I give it 3 years max!
    Do your customer a huge favor and move them outside. They look like outdoor units. Like maybe Heatcraft or Larkin.

Can you imagine the compression ratio on them ?

Post Likes
    Look at all the code violations in that install for the water heater
    no shut off valves in sight no disconnect in sight of tank.
    exp tank is upside down.
    got to love corner cutters

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    Look at all the code violations in that install for the water heater
    no shut off valves in sight no disconnect in sight of tank.
    bet they are just out of the picture, at the wall.
    exp tank is upside down.
    does that really matter, I have seen it in either up or down in mfr photos?
    got to love corner cutters
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    expansions tanks can be installed in any direction
    more importantly they need to be installed on the cold water line that one looks like its on the hot side of the tank
    to many times i see them hanging in a manner that when they go bad the weight of them is going to snap the pipe
    use a 3/4 tap tee and stand it straight up so the pipe supports the weight or use a 6 inch brass nipple and elbow coming out of the tap tee and stand it up

Post Likes
    one other thing i find most people miss thermal expansions tanks only come with between 30 and 40 pounds of pressure in them due to shipping reasons you need to charge the tank with a compressor to match street pressure if u dont the tank diaphragm is already expanded before the hot water heater builds pressure

Post Likes
    and uuhhmmm.....is that a roof overhead?? why is it there doesn't appear to be anything supporting the sheathing above that equipment?? Am I missing something?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    and uuhhmmm.....is that a roof overhead?? why is it there doesn't appear to be anything supporting the sheathing above that equipment?? Am I missing something?
    That is a roof overhead. The next support is just to the left of the picture. Not sure how they got away with it during inspection. The building is only a few years old. The call was up in the mountains, maybe it never got inspected?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I see what your saying. Looks like about a 3-4 foot span on that OSB

Post Likes
    I never could understand why the cooling equipment is put in the hottest part of the house..??
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in