This site has been really helpful to me before and was hoping someone could help out again. I’ll apologize if this isn’t an appropriate question, but, it seems it’s one for ventilation experts and who other than hVac folks?

My short question is where can I get ventilation to capture heat and smoke at/near a ceiling, is suitable for outdoor (damp) location, in a residential setting.

The details of the situation are:

I am putting a built-in outdoor grill on a patio that has a ceiling. It’s a 12’ ceiling with aluminum material covering wood trusses. The wall behind and to left of grill are completely open to outside. This setup was common in my county until recently the inspectors are flagging it and requiring ventilation hoods. I got my permit before the latest enforcement efforts but they say they are just enforcing old code so I’m not grandfathered.

I wouldn’t mind paying for a vent hood but installing the usual hood would destroy the view out the back of the house since it requires a solid wall from the hood down to the grill. I designed the whole summer kitchen for this view – and paid big extra bucks to have the view. A significant reduction of the view is not acceptable.

I am hoping to find a suitable venting solution that wouldn’t block the view. So far all the standard residential vent hoods require install from 27”-36” above the cooking device – with the solid wall behind. If I could find something that would flush-mount into the ceiling (or nearly so) I wouldn’t mind at all. The cost isn’t a big concern.

Is there any custom venting options or commercial kitchen ventilation that might be possible? If so, where do I find these folks? I’ve been talking with the inspector, my builder, my appliance/grill supplier, and grill manufacturer and no one knows.

A better venting solution is my best option. I have other options, just not very good ones.

Thanks

Would your inspectors accept a downdraft vent hood?

get an island hood

The inspector would not allow downdraft as that is specifically precluded by the grill manufacturer. Any solution has to be in compliance with the manufacturers instructions for use.

I talked to my appliance dealer about an island hood and none of them are certified by their manufacturers for outdoor use. So, like above, won't pass.

As to island hoods, I live in FL and exterior items need to be wind-resistant - a free-hanging island hood would not be.

I give you both a point for trying Anybody else?

Maybe don't hang it dangling by chains. What do they really want the hood or fire suppession