+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reversing valve

Post Likes

Reversing valve

What is the max temp differential you should see across a reversing valve. I am dealing w a goodman but I assume the same should apply for most brands

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerber View Post
    What is the max temp differential you should see across a reversing valve. I am dealing w a goodman but I assume the same should apply for most brands
    13 degrees 6 inches from body

Post Likes
    Wow, I didn't expect it to be that high. Thanks

Post Likes
    I have seen 10 to 16 degrees at 6 inches from body.
    I rather do nothing and be happy than to do something and not be happy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    13 degrees 6 inches from body
    X2
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Goodman Tech rep told me 4 degrees max differential, more than that it's likely bypassing between hi and lo sides.............
    "Democracy--Two wolves and a sheep voting on what the menu is for lunch.
    Liberty--Is a well armed sheep who will probably contest the vote." author unknown--but I like him already

Post Likes
    Hey this has me really curious because I love to learn different trouble shooting methods. Where are these temps being taken at ? Also if this guy at GooooodMAN says 4 degrees , then what is the normal temps that I should be looking for. What were the symptoms that brought you to test the reversing valve ? The only way I have seen a reversing valve fail is by leaking refrigerant out of the little pressure tubes that slide the slider. It was on two different ones in the exact same type of units.
    Gas and go does not apply to refrigeration

Post Likes
    Is that suction to discharge line?clarify please

Post Likes
    This was across the suction line. the one i had trouble with was bypassing small amounts of hot gas, and had as much as 9 degree temp diff. replaced reversing valve

Found prob on a "not cooling enough" call, could not get house below 83degrees....
    "Democracy--Two wolves and a sheep voting on what the menu is for lunch.
    Liberty--Is a well armed sheep who will probably contest the vote." author unknown--but I like him already

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoMaintPro View Post
    Hey this has me really curious because I love to learn different trouble shooting methods. Where are these temps being taken at ? Also if this guy at GooooodMAN says 4 degrees , then what is the normal temps that I should be looking for. What were the symptoms that brought you to test the reversing valve ? The only way I have seen a reversing valve fail is by leaking refrigerant out of the little pressure tubes that slide the slider. It was on two different ones in the exact same type of units.
    You have your own HVAC Buis.
    If you have a rev valve that doesn't switch completey and you are reading a higher temp. On the suction side what do you think might be happening to your pressures ? That would be one of the symptoms.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    So is a 13 degree increase on suction surface temp acceptable? Just curious seems high to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    You have your own HVAC Buis.
    If you have a rev valve that doesn't switch completely and you are reading a higher temp. On the suction side what do you think might be happening to your pressures ? That would be one of the symptoms.

I am not real sure what having my own business has to do with it. I would go with a higher suction pressure as a symptom. Or maybe even a rising suction pressure. I just wanted to know because I have only ever seen two valves ever fail as stated in my post. In 12 years I have never seen a bad or failing reversing valve hence all my questions , which if I recall I was polite in asking. so please turn it down a notch. I was just asking the guy so I could learn , that way if I ever come across a unit that is doing something similar , I will be a step a head of the game. So facts like me having my own business are irrelevant to the situation. Don't make people feel stupid for asking. There are a TON of people that " have their own business" that don't know there backside from a heat pump. So me having my own business has nothing to do with me wanting to know. If you feel I should already know then oh well. I at least know to ask before I go hacking out reversing valves that don't need to be changed. The good news is that now since I read this post I officially know how to do it now , and reversing valves everywhere are safer as a result.

Post Likes
    In this trade we are learning everyday.

Post Likes
    That was my point , I love learning. That is why I asked all the questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    So is a 13 degree increase on suction surface temp acceptable? Just curious seems high to me.
    Take the temperature of the suction line returning from evaporator, then take the temperature of the true suction going to compressor six inches from the reversing valve. If the temperature is greater than 13 degrees the valve is bad.

To only take the temperature right at the valve lots get condemned for the "4" degree temperature change. Conduction alone will give you that and then some.

Post Likes
    On goodman, watch for coil cord coming loose. Sometimes it isn't obvious.

Post Likes
    I still gave you some info. Maybe you should buy the Trane service book it has a lot of good service info, its about 40 bucks and worth the money.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in