Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Condensor Change-out

I am having my condensor changed out (from r-22 to r-410a) as well as the refridgent lines. Do I need to have the evaporator coil cleaned (internal) before hook-up...?

Are you using your old R-22 evaporator? and is it still setup for R-22?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Change the evap coil. 410 operates at nearly twice the pressure than 22. If you don't have a leak now, you will soon.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I was planning to reuse the existing coil, is that a problem...?

Quote Originally Posted by Inside View View Post
    The evap coil needs to be a rated match to the outdoor unit. Esp 410A or you can expect major issues in the near future...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

You could post model and serial of the evaporator coil

Some manufacturers allow use of some existing evaporators (Carrier/BDP for example)
    with a few things done to them.

we never reuse a r-22 coil for r-410, no way to make sure you got enough of the old oil out.

Quote Originally Posted by Inside View View Post
    As long as the r22 systems refrigeration circuit was running clean and the metering device is changed to 410a there would not be a compatibility issue.

How old is the coil?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, the coil is a Goodman slab and I will post the model number as soon as I locate it. Not sure the age, but Goodman sells the same slab to service either r22 or r410a. Be back soon with the info.

I've generally heard that it's too hard to flush all the oil out of the small passages of the coil and while you can reuse the lineset, it's best to repalce the coil. I'm not saying it can't be done. But your setting yourself up for early compressor failure from oil comtamination. It's not a good idea... plus the other reasons mentioend above.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I've generally heard that it's too hard to flush all the oil out of the small passages of the coil and while you can reuse the lineset, it's best to repalce the coil. I'm not saying it can't be done. But your setting yourself up for early compressor failure from oil comtamination. It's not a good idea... plus the other reasons mentioend above.
    As long as the mineral oil in the r22 stem is clean there is no incompatibility issues with the two oils mixing. It is done on a regular basis in refrigeration circuits. What needs to be determined is the condition of the mineral oil. If it has been exposed to high temperatures from condense being dirty, or low charge or burnout then proper flushing is necessary. Age of the evaporator is another deciding factor to consider.

I would also want a new coil

Old system probably 10 SEER
    New condenser is minimum 13 SEER.
    Change the AH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast