Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 410 vs 22

With the higher pressure of the 410 refrigerant are more leaks going to happen in the system. I am not sold on the 410 refrigerant yet. It cost more per pound than 22 at this time. I have been to several schools from different manufacture's and they are pushing the 410 refrigerant. I have been brainwashed before and feel that I was the field tester for products that were the greatest thing since sliced bread. What experience has anyone had, pro or con, with the 410 refrigerant?

It's not about us being sold on 410a: That is just the way it is. 410a is coming in and 22 is on it way out. I don't expect any more leaking problems with 410 than what we have with 22. Everything is supposed to be thicker walled and heavier duty to deal with higher pressure. And you really did not know that we are field testers of product and procedures.
    IcyFlame

i like the 410a because it is like the latest gadget on the market. i don't like however the time required to pull the required vaccume down to 500 microns or below. i think that the manufacturers will find that larger LLdriers mite make installation time easier and could possibly get away with maby a 750 or 800 micron reading which is fairly easy to obtain. just my opinion.
    Two Hydrogen atoms met one day. One said to the other "I've lost my electron". The second said "Are you sure?" The first said "Yes, I'm positive".

If i`m not mistaken

I believe that manufacturers want you to pull a 400-500 micron evac no matter what refrigerant you use.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

not arguing that point captain. the last company i worked with had no scales,micron guage or patience with pulling a vaccume. since i have gone into business for myself, i am a hard nose for doing things by the book with proper documentation for installation of all units as suggested by the manufacturer. this helps, i assume, if there were ever any problems with a unit. i have never had any yet. all i am saying is for the other 90% of the guys that dont do it by the book, this mite help with some of the rumors of 410a.i have a pump running right now that i will unhook in the morning. usually get a 250 to 300 range overnite.
    Two Hydrogen atoms met one day. One said to the other "I've lost my electron". The second said "Are you sure?" The first said "Yes, I'm positive".

What size vacuum pump, and what size system is it on that you need to leave the pump on over night to get down to 300 microns.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

using the cooltech brand. not sure of the cfm rateing off hand but pump was started around 4:00 and the linesets and indoor coil have been exposed to South Carolina humidity for a month. York units don't have air handlers with installed 410a txv's yet and tape over the ends of the copper turns to a gooey mess when it's time for the outside unit to be installed, so i just pinch the ends of the lines shut and hope for the best. any suggestions

Install a schrader tee on the line set outside.
    Braze the lines shut.
    Put a holding charge of nitrogen in them, till your ready to set the OD unit.

Save you alot of wear and tear on your vac pump.

York tells you to do this when you take their r410a seminar.
    Atleast the the seminar I was at they did.
    Contractor locator map

they did not tell us this at the class we took but mite be easier. the real problem is with the indoor units. the very first one we installed we did a field install of the txv. ever since then we have always done a shop install because it is un-arguably easier and better quality to do this at the shop. i did try once with flushing the linesets with nitrogen prior to pulling a vaccume and it seemed that the nitrogen added to the vac. time. ever since then i quit wasteing the nitrogen and let the vac. pump do the work.

With the new coils its easier to install teh txv.

After you have the lineset brazed at teh indoor unit, and it holds pressure, purge some nitrogen through to blow out any moisture that may have gotten in.
    This is after intalling schrader tee's.

Then leave 10 or 20 psi nitrogen in the lines, and it will shorten your vac time.

Are you still geting the coils that you have to punture the vapor line to install the equalizer line.
    Contractor locator map

some of the coils we have to do this and some not. most times they send a txv that is a bolt on and a unit that is not and sometimes the other way around. Affinity is still a good piece of equipment. i'll give it a whirl on the nitrogen and use it on my next install. Tried to sell the builder on 2 Affinity 8T's and making a 4 stage cooling 6 stage heating, kinda like the soon to come modulating gas furnaces except with a heat pump.

Had a contractor at the house yesterday quoting a new system for me, and I asked him how he evacuates a R410a system, and I was told it can't be vacuumed down he just installs a filter dryer!

Originally posted by jdm2447
    Had a contractor at the house yesterday quoting a new system for me, and I asked him how he evacuates a R410a system, and I was told it can't be vacuumed down he just installs a filter dryer!

Then you don't want to use that contractor.

He's blowin smoke up your you know what.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast