HVAC Hole between condensate ports

HVAC Hole between condensate ports

Hi,

I have an HVAC system in the attic that is leaking water into the secondary drain pan. What I see is that the condensate line is not clogged, but there are small holes (seemingly created by the manufacturer) between the primary and secondary port. (See attached image). The holes seem machine made, and are present in both the ones you would use for upright and horizontal installations, so I'm assuming they are meant to be there. Why? Is there a plug missing that should be there so they don't leak?

(They don't leak a lot of water, but they still set off my water alarm in the secondary pan.)

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

those 3/8 holes are not intended to be plugged.

they are for over flow.

are you sure the drain line is not stopped up?

what are the filters like?, coil?,

how long has this been occurring?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by danrckville View Post
    Hi,

I have an HVAC system in the attic that is leaking water into the secondary drain pan. What I see is that the condensate line is not clogged, but there are small holes (seemingly created by the manufacturer) between the primary and secondary port. (See attached image). The holes seem machine made, and are present in both the ones you would use for upright and horizontal installations, so I'm assuming they are meant to be there. Why? Is there a plug missing that should be there so they don't leak?

(They don't leak a lot of water, but they still set off my water alarm in the secondary pan.)

Thanks,
    Dan
    They are weep holes, and should be caulked shut except for down flow applications and when secondary drain is piped.

Thanks!

Thanks guys... The coil is clean (just cleaned it) and everything looks okay... I also ran some water into the drop pan, and most of it came out the condensate pipe, but some still came out the weep hole. Just seems odd.

I'll probably caulk it and let it go.

Thanks for your help!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danrckville View Post
    Thanks guys... The coil is clean (just cleaned it) and everything looks okay... I also ran some water into the drop pan, and most of it came out the condensate pipe, but some still came out the weep hole. Just seems odd.

I'll probably caulk it and let it go.

Thanks for your help!
    Dan
    What is the model # of your air handler? The information is in the installation manual under Condensation Piping. " The weep hole in center of grains coupling area should be sealed with caulk or RTV except in down flow unless secondary drain is used."

Model

I believe it's a Puron FV4B. I have that manual, but it doesn't seem to say anything about weep holes there. It's installed horizontally. I think caulking the holes make sense.

Thanks,
    Dan