Damper or booster fan

Hello All

We have one room in the condo (bedroom 1) that is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It seams it barely gets any air. Insulation is present in the walls and new window was installed 2 years a go. I looked at the installation of the duct and it seams to be 12X8 that goes to living room to the left from the furnace and to the bedroom 2 to the right, but hands off to bedroom 1 to 6" round duct on the left maybe 30" as it turns to the bedroom 2 from the furnace. There are no dampers in the duct what so ever. We spoke to some HVAC professionals and they recommended either a damper to balance things out or booster fan inline for bedroom 1 that is wired to the furnace fan. Other rooms seam to have plenty of flow and we even have some of the registers closed off half way as we are getting way too much flow there (bedroom 2 gets plenty and both kitchen and living room)

What would be your recommendation? if we are to install the damper, would it be right at the place where round 6" duct penetrates the 12X8 main line or just ahead of it so it can "steer the air to it"? Simple layout picture is atached

Thanks in advance, George
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you want to do it right, it may take more than just a damper, it will take 1 for each register. It may also be a case of just moving th elocation on the tap collar for Bed 1 to a better spot.

Example ~ I was called out to a house that had a similar problem. The heat run for the kids bedroom wasn't providing enough air. Part of the time you could actually feel air being pulled into the register, not blowing out of it. After further investigation I found where the tap collor for the heat run was taped in right after a duct corner on the inside edge, a place where there would be no flow or pressure. We moved the tap collar and all was fine.

But back to the dampers, 1 usually won't do any good, you need one in each run so they can all be adjusted to proper flow. I'm sure you don't have a problem with just one register. It is usually a case where some have to much and other to little to varying degrees, so they all need akdusted.

Great point. It's amazing how tap location even on a typcial rectangular plenum like on a horizonal attci installation can impact airflow. That's why even with a good duct design, balancing dampers are still a must have item IMO for a well balanced system.

Similarly, using a larger take off can help as well even if it reduced down right away.

Thanks. My issue is moving the bedroom1 tap will be some major work. Installing dumpers seams to be achievable.

Guys, I am doing some research on the dampers and was wondering is it worth to go with the zone setup and have electic balancing dampers instead of maual?
    Either way, do dampers decrease overall flow or efficiency of the system?

Regards

Dampers by their nature are going to cause some restriction, but if everything else is ok it should not be enough to cause any system problems. What system of zoning are you looking at? Zoning would be a nice way to go especially if you have other rooms that you want to keep at varying temps. If you want to keep the whole house the same temp, and all the rooms are fine except bed 1 then the manual ones should work just fine.

I was thinking of Carrier 3 zone or Honeywell TrueZone 3 zone controllers

However the need is only to have same temp in all rooms at all times.