does anyone know (or had 1st-hand experience) how FPL does their duct testing?

a family member had a visit from FPL (energy audit) and they scheduled a duct leak test (charge $30 on powerbill) and said that in most cases the work performed by an approved company/contractor is fully paid by FPL

apparently they have experience that most metal ducts do experience leaks and we all know that equals losses to efficiency and increased costs.

am interested to hear if anyone has had this done and any observations about the process or things to watch out for?
    questions to ask the prospective company that will do the duct sealing?

I'll pass on the comments from here to my family.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    They use a "blower door" to estimate leakage .Not sure that they pay 100% ,I thought it was half up to say $200.00,I know that's what Progress Energy(formerly Floria Power) does.

The only probelm is they may not do a post test to see how much leakage is still there.Even if they do it should be with a duct blaster,not the blower door ,IMHO.

We have gone behind,Progress Energy,and found substantial leakage ,a couple of times,with Aeroseal.

Their guy will find most large leaks and it's likely worth the cost,but I don't think the do more then crawl around and look/feel for leaks.

Please let m know what they do,is more then I thought.

dash wrote:
    >should be with a duct blaster,not the blower door

describe the different process, please

>they may not do a post test

the homeowner could always reschedule a post-test but I wonder just how efficient this would be if the "blower door" is inaccurate

>couple of times,with Aeroseal.
    >don't think the do more then crawl around and look/feel for leaks.

so then, perhaps it would be prudent to *not* have FPL and redirect straight to Aeroseal?

based on your reply, I would understand they test by the crawl-and-feel method and they do not use either duct blaster or blower door.

could it be inevitable they would always find some work to be done? that's not meant as a derogatory remark, just wondering why they would not employ something more than a skinny guy in the attic?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by nina
    dash wrote:
    >should be with a duct blaster,not the blower door

describe the different process, please
    **The duct blaster is done with the grille removed and pluged,so actual leakage at "X" static is tested.
    Blower door is placed in the opening of the front door,pressurized and depressurize the home ,with the A/C fan on and off,so leaks in the home structure are read as well,then with the A/C fan on it reads a difference,i don't remember exactly how,but I recall it's not as acutrate,could be wrong.
    >they may not do a post test

the homeowner could always reschedule a post-test but I wonder just how efficient this would be if the "blower door" is inaccurate

**I doubt they would do a post test at the same price.

>couple of times,with Aeroseal.
    >don't think the do more then crawl around and look/feel for leaks.

so then, perhaps it would be prudent to *not* have FPL and redirect straight to Aeroseal?
    **Aeroseal is not available in your area,and the cost is a lot more.

based on your reply, I would understand they test by the crawl-and-feel method and they do not use either duct blaster or blower door.

** i believe they use the blower door.

could it be inevitable they would always find some work to be done? that's not meant as a derogatory remark, just wondering why they would not employ something more than a skinny guy in the attic?

Yes ,most all ducts leak,the problem is how much leakage was sealed for how many dollars.