Thread: trane TCONT800

Post Likes

trane TCONT800

Just installed two trane xl units. The problem I have is when I call for a certain temp on the tstat if I do not do it in one degree increments it never reaches the set point. And, at times if say the room is 75 deg. and I ask for 74 deg. the tstat will shortly show the room temp going up, to 75. What gives? One day the house was 77 deg. I asked for 74 and it ran all day and never dropped a degree. Very frustrated with this system.

Post Likes
    Who installed it? you or a company?

There are just too many things to trouble shoot over the net, which is hard to do.

Call the installing company company back if there is one involved. If not, call a pro in.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Local Trane rep. company. They've been out here to try and remedy but to no avail. They were going to exchange tstat with a new one, but I switched it out with another in the house, installed the same time and it does the same thing. Personally I think something is mis-wired...but what do I know.

Post Likes
    The only thing I could tell you is this, call the company back and ask for their senior troubleshooting tech to come out.

Could be lots of things, and without seeing it all first hand it's hard to tell what the problem is. Sorry.
    Last edited by NY2GA01; 07-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Call em back and tell them to fix it or remove them as it should be a easy fix cant see any reason they should be stumped .by chance are they 16i units

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. Yes I have spoken with the contractor. They sent a tech out to look at the fan speed in the air handler and make any adjustments needed. That didn't seem to any any difference so not sure if anything he did. I then called the sales person and told them about what happens with the thermostat and how if the house is at 77 and you call for 74 it runs all day and never gets there, never leaves the 77 degree mark, but that I can bring the temp down by doing one degree increments, although, for example if the house is at 75 degrees and I call for 74, the tstat will often go up on the house temp, saying the room is now 76 degrees while trying to get to 74. Weird stuff. They said they would change out the thermostat, but have not been out here to do so...in the meantime I moved the same thermostat we have in the bedroom (we have 4 zones) and replaced the one above with it and it still does not operate correctly. Here is the equipment we just had installed in April.
    1st Floor Living area
    4TWX5036 3 TON R-410A 15.5 SEER 9 HSPF Heat Pump Unit
    TAM7A0C36 Indoor Variable Speed Fan Coil Unit
    Trane 15 KW Electric Heater Package
    CONT802 Touch Screen Comfort Control
    Aprilaire High Efficiency Media Air Filter
    Aprilaire Model 700 Humidifier
    TAYWAR0082 Ten years parts and labor warranty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbaker3 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Yes I have spoken with the contractor. They sent a tech out to look at the fan speed in the air handler and make any adjustments needed. That didn't seem to any any difference so not sure if anything he did. I then called the sales person and told them about what happens with the thermostat and how if the house is at 77 and you call for 74 it runs all day and never gets there, never leaves the 77 degree mark, but that I can bring the temp down by doing one degree increments, although, for example if the house is at 75 degrees and I call for 74, the tstat will often go up on the house temp, saying the room is now 76 degrees while trying to get to 74. Weird stuff. They said they would change out the thermostat, but have not been out here to do so...in the meantime I moved the same thermostat we have in the bedroom (we have 4 zones) and replaced the one above with it and it still does not operate correctly. Here is the equipment we just had installed in April.
    1st Floor Living area
    4TWX5036 3 TON R-410A 15.5 SEER 9 HSPF Heat Pump Unit
    TAM7A0C36 Indoor Variable Speed Fan Coil Unit
    Trane 15 KW Electric Heater Package
    CONT802 Touch Screen Comfort Control
    Aprilaire High Efficiency Media Air Filter
    Aprilaire Model 700 Humidifier
    TAYWAR0082 Ten years parts and labor warranty
    One system with 4 zones or 4 systems?

Post Likes
    4 systems. the two new ones are on the main floor. 2 ton drives the master and living room, 3 ton drives the kitchen, den and fam room. and I just noticed the master bedroom which is the new model trane as well is acting the same way as the other side of the house (den, kitch. fam rm). you can only bring down the temp in one degree increments, then when you push for 74 degrees the room temp heads back upward. crazy. I am bringing to think this new Hyperion XL is the problem. ??? or they just arent wired right.

Post Likes
    4 systems. the two new ones are on the main floor. 2 ton drives the master and living room, 3 ton drives the kitchen, den and fam room. and I just noticed the master bedroom which is the new model trane as well is acting the same way as the other side of the house (den, kitch. fam rm). you can only bring down the temp in one degree increments, then when you push for 74 degrees the room temp heads back upward. crazy. I am bringing to think this new Hyperion XL is the problem. ??? or they just arent wired right.
    Question are the t-stats sealed up behind the thermostat where the wires come into the back of it? I have seen this be a small problem that causes issues. The Xl800 series t-stat is a good stat put is very senstIve to temp changes. So if not sealed could be reading the back side of where the t-stat comes out an want read properly with the room temps.

What is the t-stat set up for on the fan mode? Auto, circulate or on? If set to fan on this would mean your t-stat runs the unit blower all the time and might be causing the problem? I once ran across a theostat in a upstairs application that was placed on exterior wall and was reading 86 degress when you could tell it was cooler then that. After a little investigation found the wall was not insulated and where the wires came out of the t-stat was not sealed. After sealing the hole off and adding some insulation to the wall Problem was solved? Just something to look at.

As far the new Trane air handler GAF, GAM5 and TAM 7 or 8. We have installed serval with minor problems with them all. Just door latches, block where t-stat goes into and one heat pack issue. All easy fixs but still a new unit. As far the wiring being wrong that is possiable as the new Trane air handlers do require some different wiring then the old Trane air handlers but nothing that a skilled service tech could not fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Question are the t-stats sealed up behind the thermostat where the wires come into the back of it? I have seen this be a small problem that causes issues. The Xl800 series t-stat is a good stat put is very senstIve to temp changes. So if not sealed could be reading the back side of where the t-stat comes out an want read properly with the room temps.

What is the t-stat set up for on the fan mode? Auto, circulate or on? If set to fan on this would mean your t-stat runs the unit blower all the time and might be causing the problem? I once ran across a theostat in a upstairs application that was placed on exterior wall and was reading 86 degress when you could tell it was cooler then that. After a little investigation found the wall was not insulated and where the wires came out of the t-stat was not sealed. After sealing the hole off and adding some insulation to the wall Problem was solved? Just something to look at.

As far the new Trane air handler GAF, GAM5 and TAM 7 or 8. We have installed serval with minor problems with them all. Just door latches, block where t-stat goes into and one heat pack issue. All easy fixs but still a new unit. As far the wiring being wrong that is possiable as the new Trane air handlers do require some different wiring then the old Trane air handlers but nothing that a skilled service tech could not fix.
    Yes, the wall is sealed behind the back plate. I recently added some more putty into the hole just to be certain. I tested the bedroom tstat yesterday afternoon to see if it did the same thing...with going up in temp. I never really paid attn to this unit since I was only in there early morning and night and never requested a temp any lower than 76. It reacts the same way. When the room temp was 78 yesterday afternoon, I called for 75 and left the house for 2 hours...in a two hour period it only moved to 77. However, just like the living area thermostat...if I lowered the temp in one degree increments it would drop in about 10/15 minutes. I got the room down to 75, but as soon as I asked for 74, the room temp went to 76. I am totally baffled and when I explain to salesman over phone he has no clue as well.
    I run the units on AUTO.

I am interested in your comment about a slightly diff. wiring pattern for this newer style equipment, and they were going to bring out a new thermostat. I don't have much faith on a chage of thermostat. I am really disapointed with this new style system. The two utility rooms are like ice boxes from the leaking about the doors to the air handlers.

thanks for your reply.

Post Likes
    Yes, the wall is sealed behind the back plate. I recently added some more putty into the hole just to be certain. I tested the bedroom tstat yesterday afternoon to see if it did the same thing...with going up in temp. I never really paid attn to this unit since I was only in there early morning and night and never requested a temp any lower than 76. It reacts the same way. When the room temp was 78 yesterday afternoon, I called for 75 and left the house for 2 hours...in a two hour period it only moved to 77. However, just like the living area thermostat...if I lowered the temp in one degree increments it would drop in about 10/15 minutes. I got the room down to 75, but as soon as I asked for 74, the room temp went to 76. I am totally baffled and when I explain to salesman over phone he has no clue as well.
    I run the units on AUTO.

I am interested in your comment about a slightly diff. wiring pattern for this newer style equipment, and they were going to bring out a new thermostat. I don't have much faith on a chage of thermostat. I am really disapointed with this new style system. The two utility rooms are like ice boxes from the leaking about the doors to the air handlers.

thanks for your reply.
    I would have them check all wiring to ensure it was wired right. What about the fan setting on the t-stat? Do you have it set up for fan on? The suggestions that Made where just some quick things to check on the t-stat. The installing dealer needs to start from square one and double check wiring!

Once they come out post the results they came up with. Sometimes it simple things that cause a system to act this way. Then again could be something more going on!

Post Likes
    they are due out here today to look over. here is a short video I made showing what happens. It's about 2 minutes long. You will see me ask for 75 degrees and about 2 minutes later the room temp jumps, causing the unit to just run and run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbs6...=youtube_gdata

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in