Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The hack could of at least broke the handle off as a heads up.

Yes Mr store-owner, I can get your unit working for $100. Hack proceeds to the roof and by-passes the disconnect. Store-owner is happy cause he has cool air and a low bill... next guy gets the shocking truth... pun intended.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Arrow We cannot be TOO careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I don't always open the disconnect, but I always check with my meter, and verify it with something live first.
    I have a friend, who fortunately escaped injury, who was doing pre-start-up checks inside a larger air handler. He had verified with his meter the power was off. He had just finished working at the belts & sheaves when the blower began operating while he was inside the unit.

This new rooftop unit was a replacement for an old unit. The on-site maintenance guy had bypassed the disconnect and he had the circuit breaker inside the building turned off. Then the maintenance guy turned the breaker on, not aware that someone was inside the new unit.
    I'm still learning this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by uhPrintUs View Post
    I have a friend, who fortunately escaped injury, who was doing pre-start-up checks inside a larger air handler. He had verified with his meter the power was off. He had just finished working at the belts & sheaves when the blower began operating while he was inside the unit.

This new rooftop unit was a replacement for an old unit. The on-site maintenance guy had bypassed the disconnect and he had the circuit breaker inside the building turned off. Then the maintenance guy turned the breaker on, not aware that someone was inside the new unit.
    Tag it... better, lock it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by uhPrintUs View Post

Perfect example of when panel lockouts should be used.

Lock out tag out

I remeber when I was green I was changing out a 480v unit at a church I killed the disconnect (didnt check the unit for power) started un-wiring the old unit when I pulled the first wire out it rubbed against the unit and sparks flew and I almost sh*t myself. I opened the disconnect and sure enough it was broken..... That is when I learned to always check units before working on them.

Im like a mushroom, they keep me in the dark and feed me crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.
    Is he OK ??? .....

A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.
    WOW!!!

Eyeballs out his head!!
    Holy molly !!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

That's the story I got, sounds crazy but a couple people told it to me.

That's the story I got, sounds crazy but a couple people told it to me.
    It's not true, well the eyeball part anyway but its typical when a story like that get passed down.

Inmates condemned to die in the electric chair dont turn into the guy whos face melts at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

They're hit with around 2000 volts at 5 amps for a few seconds at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    It's not true, well the eyeball part anyway but its typical when a story like that get passed down.

Inmates condemned to die in the electric chair dont turn into the guy whos face melts at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

They're hit with around 2000 volts at 5 amps for a few seconds at a time.
    Good point, well I do know he is not alive to confirm and thats about it. The other part of the story is he was an alcoholic, they say he was hung over pretty bad when it happend, that is also 3rd hand info.

Get out the disco handle snips when the Penny flankers don't want to fix it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast