Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why I Always Check Disconnects

A 50 Amp 3 pole 600 volt disconnect on a Carrier RTU Friday.

man ...that is just wrong....thank goodness you checked...
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    on a Carrier RTU...
    Those things are hacker magnets wherever you go, for some reason.

I don't always open the disconnect, but I always check with my meter, and verify it with something live first.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

GD. They could have at lease left a note on the unit..

Found the same thing on a residential unit a couple of weeks ago. It was actually a fused disconnect that 'HO's cousin' said was bad.

Every time I see this I cringe and think how bad that would hurt if you didn't check that first. Really sad considering they aren't that hard to changeout or all that expensive compared to someone's life.

You have to always check before you put your hands in. I've run into units that were fed from two different power sources.

A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.

Its one of the first things I check just to insure there are no loose connections, burned wires or bad terminals,etc.

Part of my general inspection that I've been doing for years on equipment that I've never run across before. It's both CYA and a solid service practice.

If we get the PM contract then it's part of my quarterly PMs.

Thing is I'm in the habit of inspecting the terminals and wires that it actually took me a couple of seconds to realize what the hell I was looking at.

Showed that pic to the store GM and he rolled his eyes " I know who did it " and he walked off in a huff.

Took a whole 30 minutes to go down the street and pick a new one up from a electrical supply. Well a bit longer because I had to make a stop at one of three local Carriers to get a Condenser fan motor, blade and cap.

I don't get it. Lazy techs I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.
    There was a guy in Houston that was working on a AHU starter in a building mechanical room.

Never got home never called in after the job which was a late day service call.

They found him the next morning still wedged between the AHU and the starter.

Supposedly it was a tight area and he was hit and it cause his heart to go into defib.

Couldn't get out fast enough I guess.

You always have to be thinking in the trade, one wrong move and your toast, exactly why HO's shouldnt touch there equipment.

Went to remove a panel cover once to put in the breaker for the unit we just put in as I was backing out the screw it blew in my face put a nice size hole in the panel cover. Guess the sparky that wired it in originally left the access wire looped in front of the cover screw ( before the main breaker) and over the years of going in and out wore through the caseing it was a nice surprise. Was lucky I was only blinded by the flash for twenty minutes and nothing more.
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

When I was really green I was with a guy working in a timer for parking lot lights 480 I think. We got I'n the electrical room and noticed the cover across the room, didnt think much of it, it's open to maintenance and we thought they took it off. When the guy tried the timer I could hear it, I can't explain the sound but I knew nothing good was going to happen, then BOOM the thing exploded, I ducked just In time not to get burnt. Pretty freaky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast