Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    22

    Confused New tech, new equipment, new problems!

    Ok so yeah I'm a noob and I got my 609/608 universal online without schooling but i did read quite a bit and think i got most fundamentals. I have a few loose ends to tie up hopefully all of you can help me... First some background.. The restaurant I work for wanted me to be the refrig guy so i got the cert and they got me the tools.. they are

    JB 7cfm vac pump (DV-200n)
    Appion g1 recovery unit
    YJ 4 brute 4 valve manifold (large vac hose)
    YJ micron 69075
    JB atlas scale
    h10-pm leak detector

    I hope the quality of this equipment is good enough for my testing.

    1st question..

    I know use copper and all that but i used to have a supco vg64.. microns kept rising with gauge hooked right to pump.. read bad reviews about the gauge (rising microns on blank off) so i got the YJ one. same thing.. ok so now i gotta get an empty recovery tank use (large volume of space more forgiving of tiny leaks/metal outgassing) all metal lines and see if i can indeed hold under 500 microns cause i want to see it done! When will my new hoses stop outgassing so much? Are there techs out there that can hold under 500 with a charging manifold/rubber hoses?? How long might it take to accomplish this as well??

    2nd question

    ok you have a 3/4 HP condensing unit. Burning out/oil compatibility aside, what would happen if you replaced the compressor with a 1HP version or lets say a .5HP version.. Would just pressures change (more on low side) and therefore mass flow or would more than just that happen. Why do they make it sound so complicated?? again.. aside from oil compatibility or acids from burnouts.. just HP ratings and straight replacements..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,927
    Quote Originally Posted by jurtaman View Post
    Ok so yeah I'm a noob and I got my 609/608 universal online without schooling but i did read quite a bit and think i got most fundamentals. I have a few loose ends to tie up hopefully all of you can help me... First some background.. The restaurant I work for wanted me to be the refrig guy so i got the cert and they got me the tools.. they are

    JB 7cfm vac pump (DV-200n)
    Appion g1 recovery unit
    YJ 4 brute 4 valve manifold (large vac hose)
    YJ micron 69075
    JB atlas scale
    h10-pm leak detector

    I hope the quality of this equipment is good enough for my testing.

    1st question..

    I know use copper and all that but i used to have a supco vg64.. microns kept rising with gauge hooked right to pump.. read bad reviews about the gauge (rising microns on blank off) so i got the YJ one. same thing.. ok so now i gotta get an empty recovery tank use (large volume of space more forgiving of tiny leaks/metal outgassing) all metal lines and see if i can indeed hold under 500 microns cause i want to see it done! When will my new hoses stop outgassing so much? Are there techs out there that can hold under 500 with a charging manifold/rubber hoses?? How long might it take to accomplish this as well??

    2nd question

    ok you have a 3/4 HP condensing unit. Burning out/oil compatibility aside, what would happen if you replaced the compressor with a 1HP version or lets say a .5HP version.. Would just pressures change (more on low side) and therefore mass flow or would more than just that happen. Why do they make it sound so complicated?? again.. aside from oil compatibility or acids from burnouts.. just HP ratings and straight replacements..
    Tools are less important than the knowledge to use them properly and interpret the readings.


    As to your horsepower queston, don't think in terms of horsepower, but in terms of CFH and BTUh with those compressors. That will tell you more about your current predicament than HP will.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    22
    Can't seem to find the info on the compressors/condensers I am looking at or else I'd know more about what I'm trying to do.. Copeland CSAL-0150-CAB-001 is 1.5HP could that say replace 2x 3/4HP FSAM-0075-IAV-150 condenser units? I get BTU/hr depends on evap temp/return gas temp(density) and such but seems like I may be missing something.. and yes the CFM going through a coil will affect it's heat transfer charastics i get that.. but i am confused that this old 1.5HP says 6RLA 230 and the 3/4HP models are 7RLA 230V seems like I could make the 1 do the job of 2 but how can it do more work (HP) but have less RLA (Watts)??!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    744
    Are you looking to stay in store management or enter hvac trade? If this isn't DIY I don't know what is.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    Are you looking to stay in store management or enter hvac trade? If this isn't DIY I don't know what is.
    Amen.

    This looks more and more to me like an outfit trying to avoid paying an experienced tech, so they take a guy with some simple certs and give him some tools.

    Dangerous.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,927
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder

    Amen.

    This looks more and more to me like an outfit trying to avoid paying an experienced tech, so they take a guy with some simple certs and give him some tools.

    Dangerous.
    Outfits like that are money for me...


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    22
    It's storage management (My cover job when nothing is happening) but It's more than that- the company has restaurants all over the state as well as self-storages and residential buildings they rent out. I do their storage/transport, all the company vehicle maintence, local landscaping, & appliance repair.. decided to handle their refrigeration as well. i hear there is good money in it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    1
    There is good money in it, if you know what you're doing. You. Do not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Amen.

    This looks more and more to me like an outfit trying to avoid paying an experienced tech, so they take a guy with some simple certs and give him some tools.

    Dangerous.
    ive made a lot of money from these type resturants & bars over the years.
    they have also added to my tool collection so their on staff fry cook/
    refg. mechanic wouldnt be trying to save them money.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,521
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Outfits like that are money for me...


    I agree.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    85
    You need to go to school if you want to have any semblance of an understanding of HVACR. I've been in school and in the trade about a year and I am just now fully understanding what is going on in the system. I'm not sure you could ever learn this trade with OJT. You MUST have some book learning... so hit the books, and don't even think of hooking up gauges until you at least understand the refrigeration cycle in its entirety.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Athens, GA.
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    If this isn't DIY I don't know what is.
    Ding ding ding ding ding!

    JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    What is this bull**** lic you keep talking about? Sounds like it lic you to change filters! Why do you think you can wing a trade that takes 5 years to be lic in ???
    GO TO SCHOOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event