Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jurtaman View Post
    It would be nice to hire a guide but my boss wants to stop paying the guide and pay me, and the guide was never too informative anyways.. he never listened to what i had to say because he always assumed i didn't have the capacity to understand his "complicated" trade. I think he never answered my questions because he himself did not know...
    OK... Simply put it's a system moving heat... but you could complicate it down to the atomic level it's all how deep in theory you want to go.. I'd say i understand microns/vac, pressure/atmosphere, PT Charts(even split), latent heat (evap) vs. sensible (superheat), la tee da could go on better off saying I am unfamiliar with (and looking into currently) Electrical consumption (Watts) vs. cooling capacity (btu) and the adjustments to maximize efficiency, effects of lets say big coil/lowCFM or small coil/high CFM, humidity in the box, the diff enthalpys of diff regrigerants and why they are used in their respective applications, and maybe oil circulation and other oil related concerns too. Those are my areas of current study. This place is great to learn, the old units in our barn are great to experiment/frankenstein on for cause and effect, but it's difficult if a "guide" answers with something less related to the question or the general concensus is unclear in a forum, unlike the _clear_ opinions of the H10-PM on here Still tooling up!!!
    You don't know enough to know what you don't know.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

It seems to me that it would cost a lot less in the long run for your boss to just hire a company when needed.

This is hilarious, and upsetting at the same time

Stuff aint adding up. New guy comes in wanting help right off the bat makes me think property owner or unliscened jackleg. Sorry jurta just calling it like a see it.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

wow so many posts and only 2 actually related to the question. typical from you a/c guys... hvac69 was most on asking about readings, and i still need to check the sc for him.. and jpsmith marginally came around in his 3rd comment... We will see if it's air or not i guess. Don't know what would be causing a high-side restriction think the condenser just can't do it's job that well with air.. Thanks for all other comments it's OK I'm coming to take YOUR job i get it your scared...

In house tech for one resturant is suspect. Must be some bonk a$$ equipment in that place.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

So your condenser can't do it with Air? Better get the garden hose on her see if that does it!

OP I am young not as young as you seem but this trade takes time. It's cool you wanna learn and ask question but go to a real HVAC school you will be alot better off trust me. You don't wanna be a parts changer you wanna be a True tech able to fix all equipment and know what is going on in the system. Not change parts till it works

Quote Originally Posted by jurtaman
    wow so many posts and only 2 actually related to the question. typical from you a/c guys... hvac69 was most on asking about readings, and i still need to check the sc for him.. and jpsmith marginally came around in his 3rd comment... We will see if it's air or not i guess. Don't know what would be causing a high-side restriction think the condenser just can't do it's job that well with air.. Thanks for all other comments it's OK I'm coming to take YOUR job i get it your scared...
    What makes you think it is a restriction?

I still haven't "come around". I still believe that you need to get some formal schooling.

Finally... JP i think you might be coming around and in denial but OldSchoolMech may have misunderstood what i meant about the air (air cooder condenser) but thank you for the help i think i was wrong thinking about restriction because I'd assume my suction line would be abnormally low.. and messing with the txv and measuring temp at the evap outlet i could see that it seemed capable of maintaning a set superheat although i have it set low to help the lower the compressor discharge temps until I have time to try and pull a longer vac and re-charge.. only then will we all know the answer... or the next clue??!!

So, what was the ambient temperature at the condensing unit?

Did you check to see if you got air in the system?

You really need get some formal training, theory is very important in this line of work. You need to understand why things are happening.

Ahh nice to wake up to actually helpful comments.. Ambients in NH have been in 90's lately.. and when you said check for air in the system does that only work for a rooftop unit (or one w/ evap and cond in same place) whereas my evap is in a cold place... or could i valve off the cond. unit, let it settle and check it that way maybe? how could i know for sure air wouldn't be in the evap or lineset? Is it a given all air is in the condenser since it can't be condensed (and therefore trapped in the condenser above liquid) or could some bubbles pass in the liquid (I don't see any in the glass)... hmmmmm... I want to get some developments for you all but you must understand my job position I do many other things and only have so much time to experiment. As I originally said it's my pet project, 1st burned out condensing unit replacement.. and it's not even getting a new unit just one known working one stored in a dirt-floor damp barn basement, whatever tech evacced the unit should have closed the service valves.. It sat 2 years valves open! BTW For the ones talking about "call a refrig. guy"... our regular service guy said that our competitor's restaurant has their own in-house guy, and when u have your own guy it's cheaper to dick around with used stuff. We get used stuff a lot at restaurant auctions. He said it's not worth it to pay him to mess with it. At that moment.... another company position for me was born. Refrig tech.. Thank you
    So It's not my immediate job it's a side aspect of my job my life doesn't count on it... for $25 you can get a 609 license online, and for like $150 you go take a test at your HVAC distributor, "proctored enviroment" and get your 608. I passed the EPA test 4 wrong out of the 100 so say what you want i don't have 2 years to goto school I'm too busy boating on the lake with my family!

Your right I will say what I want your a hack with a Internet HVAC Lic. You think I wanted to spend $10,000 on school and 5 yr as an apprentice? No but it's what has to be done to be top notch in this trade. I understand your view but to come on a site where this is a guys life and say " I took an online corse I know it all" just makes you look like a goof

I never said I know it all I admitted I'm a noob I asked a legit question about the air.. Everybody moaned and groaned about the school instead of helping with the questions.. I gave the symptoms looking for opinions on possible causes.. I'm seen simpler questions on here not catch all this flack.. just cause I don't work on 500 ton systems doesn't mean I don't know what I need to know for what I do (small appliance/split system/rooftop/automotive). This stuff is all math and physics class with the real-world mixed in.. More energy has gone into _doubting_ in this forum than _helping_... what this website was made for!! Seriously you guys...
    Last edited by jurtaman; 07-17-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast