I am finishing part of my basement into a home theater. This section is directly below the master bedroom and bath. I noticed that all the hot water pipes starting from the hot water heater are insulated. The insulation is the typical foam insulation you can purchase at home centers that is made to wrap around copper pipes.

I also noticed that all my cold water pipes are not insulated. I will be putting in a drywall ceiling in the theater room. Before the ceiling goes in I will be packing the floor joists with fiberglass insulation. My question is should I insulate the cold water pipes with the wrap around foam type insulation before packing in the fiberglass and installing the drywall?

Thanks
    Dave

Originally posted by hendersond
    I am finishing part of my basement into a home theater. This section is directly below the master bedroom and bath. I noticed that all the hot water pipes starting from the hot water heater are insulated. The insulation is the typical foam insulation you can purchase at home centers that is made to wrap around copper pipes.

I also noticed that all my cold water pipes are not insulated. I will be putting in a drywall ceiling in the theater room. Before the ceiling goes in I will be packing the floor joists with fiberglass insulation. My question is should I insulate the cold water pipes with the wrap around foam type insulation before packing in the fiberglass and installing the drywall?

Thanks
    Dave
    I recommend that our customers wrap all pipes, hot or cold. I also tell them to insulate, insulate, insulate.

Yes! And make sure the insualtion is as air tight at all joints as possible. A cold water line sweating (dripping water off of it) in hot humid weather above a sheetrock ceiling can only spell trouble.

really hate to see sheetrock ceiling covering water,drain,electric or any other mechanicals in basements.

why not a drop ceiling with acoustical tiles??

I'm going to second Firecontrol's statement. Even in our semi-arid region, we sometimes see cold water pipes condensate in crawl spaces and basements. You will want to insulate them for sound purposes, too. Especially if you're talking of installing pipes above or near a media room.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

I will insulate them, thanks.

As far as a drop ceiling, they do not do nearly as well at stopping sound traveling out of a theater room as sheetrock does. In fact I am putting two layers of 5/8 everywhere.

I know I am tempting fate but I figure it is no worse than a second floor bathroom that has its water and drain pipes behind drywall.

it is a WHOLE lot easier just to add flex pipes @ HWH and antisyphon nipples!!! $12 in parts

but, when I did, kit was not available. Besides, I used 24" flex --

I urge the addition of a temperature regulator to knock down the temp to the baths to 115- 120F --

keep the temp to the washer & kit at least to 130F so as to kill dust mites, etc.

140F is best in the HWH to kill Legionnaires' bacteria. -- check at CDC.gov

[Edited by cem-bsee on 08-15-2006 at 09:46 AM]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!