Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seems to me if one were to take the position that 0% of HVAC contractors are capable of installing an attic fan with a concurrent understanding of its potential impact on the building envelope, this would include all HVAC contractors certified by Building Performance Institute (BPI), Comfort Institute, etc.

No offense, but someone's paint brush might be a bit wide, here.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Nothing cryptic about what I said. Knowing and Doing are not the same thing.
    More vague comments. What was it that you accused me of being dishonest about? Do you even know what you are posting?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Seems to me if one were to take the position that 0% of HVAC contractors are capable of installing an attic fan with a concurrent understanding of its potential impact on the building envelope, this would include all HVAC contractors certified by Building Performance Institute (BPI), Comfort Institute, etc.

This is what I was stating when I was accused of being dishonest for stating it.

A percentage that starts with .00% is not equal to zero percent. 0% was robo trying to put words in my mouth. Do a google map search of HVAC contractor, and the whole USA lights up with dots on top of dots. Then do a google map search of BPI certified HVAC contractors and the dots go down to a handfull spread out across the USA. I wasn't able to count all of the dots, but it seems to back up my .00% number. Meaning maybe .009%, or something like that. My statement was the number would START out like .00%.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

The percentage of HVAC contractors who would know how, and perform, air sealing in conjunction with an attic fan install is likely to start out with a .00%
    What is so hard to understand about this statement? How can anyone read that to mean that I stated zero contractors know how to air seal?

What is so hard to understand about this statement? How can anyone read that to mean that I stated zero contractors know how to air seal?
    Call me stupid, but I still have no clue what you are trying to communicate.

And, just an FYI; .00% is exactly the same as 0%

What a lame argument..

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

You're stupid. Just kidding. Couldn't resist it. I agree that this is a stupid argument.

.00, without any context, would be interpreted by most as equivalent to zero. The zero to the left of the decimal point is assumed to be there, but often not expressed.

Tips, if you wanted to make a point that less than one percent of all HVAC contractors carry building envelope certification, it would help had you made that point from the start. Otherwise, can Robo and myself honestly be blamed for mistaking your .00% to be equivalent to 0%?

I can't help but agree this discussion has degraded into silliness.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

.00, without any context, would be interpreted by most as equivalent to zero. The zero to the left of the decimal point is assumed to be there, but often not expressed.

Tips, if you wanted to make a point that less than one percent of all HVAC contractors carry building envelope certification, it would help had you made that point from the start. Otherwise, can Robo and myself honestly be blamed for mistaking your .00% to be equivalent to 0%?
    I can't help but agree this discussion has degraded into silliness.
    The percentage of HVAC contractors who would know how, and perform, air sealing in conjunction with an attic fan install is likely to start out with a .00%

I can honestly say you & robo can be blamed for not understanding what I wrote. It has degraded into silliness, but you are adding to it.

You're stupid. Just kidding. Couldn't resist it. I agree that this is a stupid argument.
    I would have thought less of you had you not taken that shot......

I would have thought less of you had you not taken that shot......
    Thanks. To be honest, I didn't like how you came into this thread with your comment that had to do with something about advice against attic fans being stupid, so I got hostile. I apologize for the implication of being dishonest.

You all should check out my fb page. I do both, hvac'r and I spray foam insulation. On FB search "Solid Services LLC." Like it if you like....
    The only decision in life is to decide what to do with the time given to you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast