Foundation is going in the first part of September and am at a loss as far as who to use for my HVAC. I have talked to a couple companies and recieved bids that aren't to out of line for what needs to be done but am unsure who to use. What questions should be asked to get a feel for who is going to do the best job? I have read all kinds of horror stories of over sized units, poor duct layout, mold and so on. How do you know who to use? Anyone know of a reputable company in the Kansas City area? Sorry if theese are stupid questions. Don't know much about HVAC except that it needs to be done right with the proper load calculations and duct layout. Thanks.

First ask about load calcs. Do they do them? Ask what kind of ducts they use, flex, ductboard, metal, insulated? How many units? Or will they zone? Around here, has to be an extremely big house before it gets 2 systems. Most 2 story aren't comfortable upstairs in the summer. Where are the vents going? Ceiling isn't good for heating. In KC I'd sure suggest dual fuel with heat pump and gas furnace or possibly even all electric depending upon your rates.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Call around and tell them stright up that you job requires,Manuals J,S and D ,from http://www.acca.org ,if they can and will do it great ,ake and appointment,if not keep dialing.

Confused

I will be using a heat pump with back up gas furnace. The house is a two story 2800 sq.ft. in total. One company has said one unit with 2 zones and another has said 2 3ton units. Really confused but appreciate your responses and will use the info. As far as ducts go, what is a better choice flex, ductboard, metal? Thanks

Originally posted by mgn
    I have read all kinds of horror stories of over sized units, poor duct layout, mold and so on.

How do you know who to use? Anyone know of a reputable company in the Kansas City area?

Don't know much about HVAC except that it needs to be done right with the proper load calculations and duct layout.
    Send:
    Plans ( .dwg file).
    Window specs ( U-value & SHGC)
    House orientation.
    R-values.

Equipment sizing & selection
    can be performed in < 1 hour
    on < 2500 Sq. Ft. house

See profile.

I assume your electric rate < $0.05/kW in KC.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

You got me scared already. We aren't much different from KC except maybe you get a few degrees warmer. You wouldn't see any 6 tons in a 2800 sq ft home here. Unless you have a s-load of glass, I'd be leery right there. That's why all 3 replies have talked load calc!

Equipment in a basement or crawl, my vote is all metal. Ducts in an attic, the ultimate is a lined or wrapped metal trunk. Short flex runs are fine but most new construction ends up with a tangled mess of flex all over the place in an attic.

Loonie and Dan thank you much for your response. I had a feeling that I should be leary of dual 3 ton units in my house. What is really frightening is that quote came from one of the larger HVAC companies in town.
    Dan I don't have my plans on file on my computer or I would send them to you right now. I wish I could find people in town as helpful.
    I will have a full basement and the second story duct will have to be in the attic for sure. Any of you guys want to come to Kansas City to do a job? Thanks again!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by mgn
    I will be using a heat pump with back up gas furnace. The house is a two story 2800 sq.ft. in total. One company has said one unit with 2 zones and another has said 2 3ton units. Really confused but appreciate your responses and will use the info. As far as ducts go, what is a better choice flex, ductboard, metal? Thanks

Be more concerned about how the ducts are designed(sized),installed,insulated and sealed(air tight),then which material is used.

Beaware of noise that can be associated with metal ducts .

Flex doesn't have to be a "tangled mess",and we have many homesw with flex installed in the late 1970's and early 1980's that is still in great shape,here in hot ,humid ,Florida attics.