Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 Ton Voyager

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    I replaced the capacitor for fan three first, but it didn't make a difference. I then tested the other two capacitors and they were good. The thing that got me was I could switch the plug connectors and the motor would run fine. I switched around fan one and fan three so three was the first fan and it ran good, but then the other fan one would run backwards and so on. I was thinking the motors were getting weak. But the new motor did the same thing when I ran them in test mode.
    Looks like a wiring issue at the capacitor since a new motor did the same, check the diagram and wire #'s that land on the cap for the motor that is going backwards and verify that the common and capacitor lead are reversed at the capacitor. Then reverse the two leads at the capacitor (leaving the common feed to the caps in place) and it should now spin correct. They are all the same color so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Good Luck...

Just some info on low ambient control and condenser fan motor operation which is controlled by the outside air sensor.

Outdoor Motor (ODM2) will be turned “OFF” since the UCP is sensing a low ambient
    condition.

I have had Voyagers with the same symptoms and going off on high head pressure. Found that the OSA sensor had a degraded performance and was out of calibration by 10 degrees. It ohm'd out just fine but had a voltage drop which was inconsistent with actual temperature. Changed out the sensor ($9.00) and haven't been back since.

Per Trane: During low ambient operation compressor run time is counted and
    accumulated by the UCP. Low ambient operation is defined as 55° F for single condenser fan units, and 40° F for dual condenser fan units.

Hope this helps

That run cap is usually rated at 25 MFD and any thing less would cause the symptoms which you are having. Recheck actual microfarad reading and verify that this is a quality run cap, GE or OEM.

you need to upgrade the main control board. the problem gets solved by shutting down the first stage for ten seconds then bring both stages on together. this fires all three fans at the same time. its the only repair because once you get a fan pinwheeling it cant overcome when it starts.

Sent from my MID7012 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    you need to upgrade the main control board. the problem gets solved by shutting down the first stage for ten seconds then bring both stages on together. this fires all three fans at the same time. its the only repair because once you get a fan pinwheeling it cant overcome when it starts.

Is there a new bulletin on this? And is this for the Microtel UCM or Reliatel.
    I wonder if you know what the new revision number is for the updated UCM board.

Thats definitely a solution.

That is a two fold repair in that in a two stage circuit with a tandem compressor as the second stage, it is very common in a high ambient condition that the short cycling can not over come the head pressure on such a short delay. This will create a high LRA and trip the circuit breaker depending on which circuit short cycled.

It sounds like Trane has changed the starting strategy with this new board.

As I posted earlier, the first stage does shut down for about five to ten seconds then brings on both stages. Condenser fan three would run backwards. After replacing the motor and letting the unit run on its own, the fan was running the correct direction.

I have another unit doing the same thing at times. I hate to replace the motor since it's still running. It seems that I have read about a device that installs on motors to prevent the blades from spinning backwards. I need to look into more.

Sorry for the delay on part number. Trane board 6400-0882-01 rev e. Assy 6400-0883-03 rev n.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12