19DM Carrier chiller, hot disch temp, & no temp drop

19DM carrier chiller, hasn't run for 3 years, customer now decides he wants it to run....I am new to this jobsite & don't know the history of this machine. Found it with heater off & low on oil, added same & got to 130 degrees, ran purge, put wicking lock tite in bands to stop some leaks, appears to have worked,it holds a vac now.refrg sample shows 40% oil ! When I run machine in controls test vanes & wall move ok.When I operate the machine no temp drop 52 in and out, & 80 in & out, disch gets hot(250), 5# & 12" pressures,The wall is open, pressures,I'm going to distill refrig, any other suggestions....I think I'm going to check rotation monday....

I forgot to add the refig site glasses are full & I see no movement when running machine, I can get the vanes open about 50% & it starts surging,(not unusual) motor cooling feeds fair....

I would pull the freon out, pressure test for additional leaks, vacuum down. put in correct charge. check all temp sensors and condenser tubes. these are picky machines.

Refrigerant sample

chillerdctr- If you had 40% volume of oil in your refrigerant sample you must have taken before running the machine and all the oil was sitting on the bottom of the evaporator by the charging valve. It would take about 55 gallons of oil to equal a 40% concentration. Distill your charge,drain the existing oil and any in the vessels, change All the filters, leak test entire machine, pull the chiller down to at least 750 microns, let it stand 24 hours to verify it's tight, put a fresh oil charge in as determined by your compressor size and charge her up according to spec's. A 19DM that has been idle for that long and obviously wasn't properly mothballed, is bound to have many issues. Get your post count up and put information in your file for others to see.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    chillerdctr- If you had 40% volume of oil in your refrigerant sample you must have taken before running the machine and all the oil was sitting on the bottom of the evaporator by the charging valve. It would take about 55 gallons of oil to equal a 40% concentration. Distill your charge,drain the existing oil and any in the vessels, change All the filters, leak test entire machine, pull the chiller down to at least 750 microns, let it stand 24 hours to verify it's tight, put a fresh oil charge in as determined by your compressor size and charge her up according to spec's. A 19DM that has been idle for that long and obviously wasn't properly mothballed, is bound to have many issues. Get your post count up and put information in your file for others to see.-GEO
    "Ditto"....(Well Put)
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

usually on 19 series machine, when you have excessive non condensibles the disharge temp creeps up quickly at the same time it cooks the discharge side oring making leaks greater. check for non condensibles with a accurate guage and temperature probe on the condenser liquid side.

meant 19 D series machines, with low pressure r11

I wouldn't waste time pulling the refrigerant out and leak checking until I made sure all the air was out of the machine first. A machine that sits for that long will be full of air no matter how tight it is. You need to run the chiller and work all of the air out. What are your approach temperatures? Did you brush and inspect the tubes before starting the chiller?

this is the chiller doc, how I solved the problem,

to answer one question, the refrig sample was taken after the chiller had run, I removed oil laden refrig, pressurized with nitogen, found several small leaks,pulled into a vacuum, put hi-vac sealant on several small leaks , put wicking loctite into the holes on the bands, ( customer wanted fast fix to get it ready) I distilled refrig back into chiller, the barrels were about 30-40% oil. got 800# refrig, started chiller & it made temp right away,topped off charge, it's running great for 2 weeks straight now, & the purge count is low , makes temp easily, runs partially loaded most of the time, disc temp was around 135 degrees....everybody is happy, thought I would catch this thread up to date, thanks everyone !!!

hi Rick, do you work for Ken Seaton ? he & Paul have helped me out a lot the last few years !!

Quote Originally Posted by chillerdctr View Post
    hi Rick, do you work for Ken Seaton ? he & Paul have helped me out a lot the last few years !!
    Yes I do.