Question

My ACs compressor fried last night. It is a Carrier Tech 2000 SS, model 38TRA048330, located outside of my house. I think its about 5 years old 12 SEER and 4 tons AC. So its time to decide whether to replace just the compressor (not sure if its still covered under warranty), the entire AC, or even the entire HVAC (13 years old furnace model NUGK100DH11. Not sure what its).

My house is located in Rockville, Maryland. It is a 3-level house with the furnace resides in the basement. The first and second floor is about 2600 SF. The second floor is typically 6-8 degree hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the first floor.

Would you please provide suggestions/recommendations as to if my HVAC system is adequate for heating and AC or if its marginal? Where should I go from here (I'm asking friends and relatives for HVAC references at this point)?

Thank you.

I would check on warranty before doing anything. Most 12 SEER units that are over a few years old had a ten year compressor warranty.

I agree.... i would think that compressor would still be under warranty. Most 12 seer compressors did have a 10 yr compressor warranty. You still have some years left in that system. I would just double check and make sure that the compressor failed and that you are getting enough return air and make sure your coils are clean. Sometimes there is a hidden problem that may make that compressor fail.

I also understand that your upstairs is hotter in the summer time. That is always a problem on any home that only has 1 unit doing the entire house like that. The only after the fact solution I would recc. would be zoneing. That way you can channel the air to the upstairs when you need it there. Depending on the lay-out of your home zoneing may not be viable for you. Other than that an independent system that controls just your upstairs would be the only solution. Both the zoneing and A/C system have its pro's and con's you just need to way the options.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Where are your return griles located,first floor,second???

Do all rooms on the second floor have a return ,are the doors to these room kept open or clossed??

How do you mean by fried ? Is it really dead ?

your different air temperatures have more to do with poor air distribution than the unit itself. That said, poor distribution system (duct) can kill compressors.

Your best bet is get a GOOD contractor in to take a look. That compressor was killed, it didnt just die.

Thank you to all who replied quickly to my msg.

My 2 return griles located on both floors, only one on each floor. The return on second floor sucks air much stronger than the one on the first floor. The door on upstair rooms are openned most of the times (unless my kids get mad at me).

Last night, I smelled something burning and heard weird noise on my outside AC. I went outside and smelled burn on the AC of which the fan was still running. I janked out the switch to turn the AC off (the one attached next to the AC with 2 big fuses). I used a flash light to look inside the AC but didn't see anything suspicious. I decided to plug the switch back. The fan immediately run and about 2-3 seconds later, I saw a flame coming out of the bottom left part of the AC having pipe running into the house, about 12x12x12 inches (the part that is heavily covered with insulation so I guess that it is the Compressor).

I've just spoken to Carrier and the unit's compressor is still under warranty. Per Carrier's suggestion, I spoke to a local Carrier's contractor, the technician suggested that it might just be the capacitor being burned. He said that it will cost $95 for a technician to perform diagnostic. He estimated that it would cost around $160 plus labor for replacing the capacitor, around $1200 for replacing the compressor and around $2500-$4000 for replacing the entire old AC with a comparable new AC along with new coil (resides inside my furnace in the basement). The AC is about 8-9 years old, according to the technician.

Should the compressor or the entire AC needs to be replaced? Did the techinican's estimates sound about right? Any recommendations as to where I should go from here.

unfortunately, we cannot comment on pricing here. There are too many different markets and models.

Has anyone actually looked at your unit or is this all been done on the phone????