Mini-split condensate hack

Of course this is Wall of Pride in my heart, but I don't dare post it there!

Here in Shenzhen it is easily 100 degrees everyday, so I figured this little AUX ductless mini-split could use all the help it could get.

The condensate line has a series of holes in it and it is mated to the coil with just normal cotton held on with some twist ties. Condensate flows down the coil perfectly... no dripping or mess.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like the coil needs to be cleaned. That water trick will work good until the coil rots out in that section.

Not sure why that would be... it's a heat pump and wet all winter.

Jim, the pH of condensate is on the acidic side of the scale. Over time, it could start to eat away at the fins. The amount of time required to do that would depend on a whole host of factors. But it is possible.

In some areas and in extreme applications, condensate neutralizers are required to raise the pH of the condensate prior to putting it into the sanitary sewer system.

On a little minisplit, this might not be the case, but it is theoretically possible.

Just a little FYI.

Thanks for the heads up.

But I think there are quite a few examples of this being done in window shakers etc and the coil is covered in condensate all winter without being effected.

The coil is clean, but I think maybe a bit corroded.

(And it's old and new ones are cheap...)

Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    Jim, the pH of condensate is on the acidic side of the scale. Over time, it could start to eat away at the fins. The amount of time required to do that would depend on a whole host of factors. But it is possible.

In some areas and in extreme applications, condensate neutralizers are required to raise the pH of the condensate prior to putting it into the sanitary sewer system.

On a little minisplit, this might not be the case, but it is theoretically possible.

Just a little FYI.

I thought those were only required for furnace condensate?

Air conditioning condensate is just distilled water.

Schools tapping A/C condensate to top off cooling tower

Not just water, condensed sweat, alcohols, VOCs, etc.

We had a old lady who always put her watering can under her air handler drain line that ran down side of home. She used it to water her plants and said it was the best water ever for this. I don't know her reasoning but she did have a beautiful yard