Union HVAC apprenticeship, how does it work? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In our local for HVAC tech we only interview candidates that graduated with an associates degree and are in the top 5-10% of their class, occasionally we will take in non union techs like the original poster after testing. Most after taking the test think that since they have that degree and have been in the field for 3 to 5 years that they should start at least 3rd year or higher. After going thru the whole 5 year program, most admit that they really didn't know as much as they thought they did. Our HVAC training program is very comprehensive covering large chillers/boilers, ammonia, and DDC among other things. Now on the other hand to apply as a pipe fitter requires none of the above. We have some guys straight out of high school or the armed forces.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Everyone can't just get into the union as an apprentice. With no experience, you have to take a test and only the top 5% or 10% will make it in. If you already have experience, you can get sponsored in thru the shop that hired you. You take a test and pay a fee for the card.
    superfittertech said: "In our local for HVAC tech we only interview candidates that graduated with an associates degree and are in the top 5-10% of their class, occasionally we will take in non union techs like the original poster after testing...."

I thought you first have to have an apprenticeship before working because you need a license in order to work. Now if I well understand the best way is to have an associate degree then find a job for some experience then apply for an apprenticeship.
    So that means you can work without a license ? Is that correct ?
    I have to admit that sounds strange for me to first work then go for an apprenticeship...

And how about finding a job with an associate degree and without experience and without a prior apprenticeship ? I assume the employers will ask about apprenticeship/license...

Another question since I am looking for switching career. I am quite good with studies (I have a Bachelor) and I am problem-solving oriented but does the age is a problem when looking for a job and also for joining an Union ? I am 40

Thanks for your previous answers guys !
    Have a good day.

There is no license required in the state of IL. Age is a factor as far as being physically able to perform the job. Greenhorns will do grunt work. Old or young, if you have talent, you should not have issues staying employed. Getting your first job in the industry at 40
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

if you.re good and can keep up with the young uns then age not a factor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12