Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to replace ancient Lennox box.

Hi all. I need to replace my ancient Lennox HS6 311 13FFC outdoor A.C. unit. It is connected to a Boyertown Hallmark LBD85 #2 oil furnace which I will retain. My home is a cottage size, 620 sq. ft., single story with returns in the floor and outlet registers in every room. I live in New York, presently a heat wave happening.
    I've looked into some options but there is so much info I'm getting confused. Is a dry charged system the way to go? Any particular manufacturer stand out as better at this capacity/home size? The old unit has a 2.5 ton rating. Is this too much for a small home?
    Thanks for any input, vastly appreciated.

For the benefit of me and Baldloonie and several others, please post a picture of that old Lennox box.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Oh, and even though your cottage is not large, getting a heat load calculation is a good idea to determine the size of tonnage needed.

With R22 prices the way they are right now, I would not consider a dry charged system. I'd go with R410A.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

That old RFC metering system was designed for the old Lennox. You'd be hard pressed to get that system to work on a 13 SEER dry unit. Do it right.

Huntinwalkerstyle

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

That sounds really, really large for that size space in NY.

Msaller homes need load calcualtion even more, because their heat loads very more broadly and are more sensitive to over or undersizing since they have less mass, and more surface area compared to the volume. They heat up and cool off a lot faster. It also means oversized equipment short cycles easily.

Here it is in all it's ancient glory.
    Heat load calc. On the list.
    Thanks for your replies gents.

That is an old lennox alright she is Huge!
    That seems real big for your house 2.5Tons I am thinking more like 1.5Ton but a heat load will tell you forsure.
    Thanks for posting the pics

Man, that old beast sure brings back memories! Thanks for posting that photo.

I guess I was born an HVAC geek. As a kid my neighborhood was full of those HS6 condensers. I'd wander up to one (few people had privacy fences back then)
    , stick my ear on the side panel, snd wonder in awe what that buzzing sound was inside, and how did it make a house nice and cool? Those wonder years have become a nice career for me, so I guess geekness pays.

Growing up 60 miles from Marshalltown IA, home of Lennox, HS6s and HS8s were everywhere. The office building my Dad built next to his had one for nearly 40 years. Here in Indy, I can think of one HS6 left that I drive by occasionally. Stuff was built very well back then!

Baldy, what was the Lennox model # for a condenser from the same era and tonnage range that had a slanted front and a Westinghouse compressor that sounded like a semi-hermetic? You had to remove the entire front grill to access everything inside. Would love to see a photo of one of those old dudes. I remember ours was made in Marshalltown as well.

I'm thinking HS2A or HS2. There's a couple on a downtown store on the main drag that are likely abandoned. I condemned the fan motor on one about 10 years ago and we replaced it. Don't recall much about the compressor. It ran. I'll shoot a picture of the ones downtown sometime.

Thanks. Likely before that old beast was abandoned it had a compressor replacement or two. Thinking back on why our HS2 ate several compressors, it could have been the low speed of the comp not allowing good oil return. When we finally dropped a new condenser in with a high speed comp, that unit lasted almost thirty years with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast