Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    South Florida in the summer gotta love it! Goodman 5 ton heat pump, split system, vertical air handler. Condensor running, ice covered lines from compressor to evaporator. Changed dirty filter and thawed out by running air handler only. Started up after no more condensation dripping from drain and all was good. Next day same icing situation, condensor running blower isn't. Inspected evap coil and blower motor...clean coil and clean blades. Blower will run fine without condensor running, so I don't think it's a blower motor or capacitor. The circuit board doesn't look like there much to it...Goodman. Any thoughts on what to check. Thanks all

sometimes evap. coil should be removed for cleaning.

unit may be low on freon,
    contactor could be stuck
    fan relay etc... call a tech. and in Florida check air-fiter
    every 2 weeks - don't matter what any body saids.
    doing one call at a time.

dirty filter= dirty blower and dirty coil

and a possible leak.

good luck.

Evap coil looks shiny and new...not a speck of dust or goop on it. Temp differential between return and supply after thawing it out was 21 degrees. Is there more than one relay on this air handler?

there are at a minimum, 14 fins per inch that are 1.5- 2.0- inches wide.

unless you have x-ray vision you may not catch it.

Point taken Billva.. I have just seen so many completely clogged up coils before that this one looks like a new one. But, would a dirty coil stop the blower motor or just slow down the airflow? This blower is just shutting down, but will run fine with the stat set to "on". I'm still thinking relay

check t-stat
    doing one call at a time.

How long does the fan motor run before it goes out? Could be going out on overload and not related at all to whether or not the condensor is running. That is what I would suspect.

bad timed off delay fan relay next patient please lol

The sequencer in your air handler is going bad on you. Sometimes it work and then sometimes it will not turn the blower motor on. I have seen this a lot in the units. It is inside the air handler. It is black and has numbers on it 1, 2, 3, The bottom of the sequencer should have a green wire going to it. sorry about he spelling (sequencer) this should repair your problem.

THANKS MRHVAC84, I think you are probably right. I went ahead and used some coil cleaner on both coils anyway and hosed everything off real good. I checked all the wire connections and evrything was like it should be. Is it common for a sequencer to go bad in 4.5 years? I fired it back up last night and so far so good, but if it happens again I will look at the sequencer and possibly the thermostat. It is a fairly new honeywell thermostat but sometimes I feel like the on/auto switch doesn't make contact properly.

ive replaced a truck load of seqensers on goodman air handlers, put a good relay in instead

It's the sequencer. if it happens again go ahead and replace it. but if you wait you know what it will do. It will stop on the weekend! lol I have replaced many of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast