Good Afternoon. I used to work on automotive a/c systems, but no real idea about home central a/c. What is considered a "normal" register discharge temperature? I suspect a refrigerant leak on my downstairs unit. Temperatures are currently pretty hot outdoors, home is 4 years old, Energy Star compliant (ie: good insulation, double pane glass, etc...)Downstairs unit runs constantly, register temperature is 75 degrees only. Approximately +/- 1100 sqft footprint downstairs,twin Amana RCC30A2D units, upstairs cycles on a normal basis. Any suggestions?

Call a technician and have the system evaluated. De3ta T should be 15-20° depending on your system design.

Yeah, just checked register temperature upstairs, reading 70.9 degrees.....

Is the suction line cold and "sweating"?

Check for oily spots along the condenser and lineset.

Either way, you need to call a technician.

houston77095, measure the temp. difference between the return at the return air can right before the furnace and the temp after the evap. coil, and let us know.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

mrbillpro is correct. Temperature DIFFERENCE is whats important. 60 F comimg out with 65 going in.. not so good. 60 coming out , 80 going in.. not too bad. Check TD.
    If You don't have time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

"Perception is Reality" Look & Act like a Professional

77095 you are in Cooperfield which means that your systems are installed vertically in the attic. I have worked on numerous of these systems and the Amana 2.5-ton and 3-ton "A" coils from that era tend to develop refrigerant leaks in 3 to 5 years.

The good news is they have a 5-year part warranty and are fairly easy to replace.

Hey, you're in Spring Shadows! This is bad news, but somewhat expected, since my neighbor has a leaking coil now. His is 5 years old though.....

Yes I am!

His coil may still be under warranty dependson when the electrical meter was set or if he is original owner when he took possesion of the house.