Noob near Chicago Il.

Hey all,

I have been lurking this forum here and there for a second opinion on lots of things, and have found this place to be really helpful, and am grateful for that!

I'm 39 years old now, and have been in HVAC in one fashion or another since right out of high school. I owned my own shop (large residential and light commercial install mainly) for about 14 years, I had a good service customer base early on for the first 7-8 years, but unfortunately, construction was SO busy, I could not keep up with it all, even with 5 guys...So I started subbing out my service work to a buddy starting up a company.

Needless to say, construction died, or at least it has around Chicago. I abandon hvac for a while once that happened (2008) since suddenly got flooded with sheet metal workers scrambling to learn service....or throwing parts at the problem, but you get the idea. It made it so cut throat, I fell back on a hobby to make money for a while. (cad cut decals, lettering trucks and motorcycles etc.)

Anyway, to wrap up a long intro, I'm easing back into it 4 years later getting a few jobs here and there from graigslist, and just working on friends stuff that goes down.

I'm finding myself out of practice on some things it seems.
    Not the easy stuff, like reading voltage and amp draw, but the trickier stuff like a compressor going off on thermal overload, while the capacitor tests good, and the charge is good etc. It seems in those situations, I'm always kicking myself 2 hours after I get home, remembering something else I could have checked. I been second guessing half the stuff I do being out of practice , It's driving me nuts!

Ok, enough blabbing out of me. Glad to be here an meet you guys!

Hello Eddie1KRR.I have lived in Chicago so we're like neighbors.I see that You're New guest here but reading experience part I suggest you make couple of post and apply for pro membership.It 's more opportunity for someone with knowledge in this trade to get some really useful information.Anyway welcome in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenek View Post
    Hello Eddie1KRR.I have lived in Chicago so we're like neighbors.I see that You're New guest here but reading experience part I suggest you make couple of post and apply for pro membership.It 's more opportunity for someone with knowledge in this trade to get some really useful information.Anyway welcome in the club.
    Thank you for the welcome!
    I'm just reading the rules over here as I got notification you posted...I skimmed them when I signed up, but not well enough apparently because I accidentally already posted in the wrong area once already. But I will check out the pro area and see if I qualify. Thank you for that! I have been out of the loop for a few years now, so some of it comes back to me a bit slow, I have to think for a min. But I would not bother posting until I thought it through, so hopefully, can be some help there.

I am well versed on lots of aspects of service & install on furnace, a/c, water boiler, and duct sizing and cfm rules and limits and all that since I was the "engineer" for my shop for all that, but I'm finding that this stuff is not coming back to me as fast as I though it would after being out of it for a 3 years or so (disappointing) But, I still managed to keep my analytical mind (somehow), after the torture the shop put me through during the construction boom with 6 guys (plus myself lol), so that's helping me get through the stuff that used to be second nature lol...I'm warming up again quickly here again though, so that's good news

Thanks again for the welcome! What part of Chicago did you live and/or work in?

Thumbs up

Hello.
    I wish I do have as much experience in a service as You.
    For over 3 Years I was doing mostly new houses installations.In 2009 I heve been laid off from one of the bigest company in Chicago area and since then I heve worked as a sheet metal architectural worker,wich make MY main income but after hours I've been doing a service calls and retrofits for last year and get addictet to do.
    I heve lived by Midway airport and wish have more HVAC jobs so I could do It as My primary profesion,but so far It does not look too good.As I wrote in a first paragraph I feel like luck of experience and knowledge is My # one enemy so always after service work,on My way home got thinking "maybe if I do this or that would be better?"Anyway till know for last Year I have not have any complains or returns to old jobs.That make Me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenek View Post
    Hello.
    I wish I do have as much experience in a service as You.
    For over 3 Years I was doing mostly new houses installations.In 2009 I heve been laid off from one of the bigest company in Chicago area and since then I heve worked as a sheet metal architectural worker,wich make MY main income but after hours I've been doing a service calls and retrofits for last year and get addictet to do.
    I heve lived by Midway airport and wish have more HVAC jobs so I could do It as My primary profesion,but so far It does not look too good.As I wrote in a first paragraph I feel like luck of experience and knowledge is My # one enemy so always after service work,on My way home got thinking "maybe if I do this or that would be better?"Anyway till know for last Year I have not have any complains or returns to old jobs.That make Me feel better.
    Sorry to hear about the lay off man, but not to surprising. It's just been tough all over around here as you know.
    Even if it gets even tighter, try and hang in there, IMO there is no other trade that keeps you as diversified as ours, where you can turn a hand at other things if need be. I know I'm sure doing a lot of that kind of thing right now as well...Odd jobs that are not 100% HVAC related, but, whatever pays the bills, right?
    Sounds like you have a good track record, so that will always take you far.
    Shoot me a pm with your number and we'll shoot the bull since you aren't too far away. I haven't been to midway in a while, but I think last time I was out there, it was a little under an hour away.

Talk soon!

Welcome here Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Welcome here Eddie!
    Thanks!

Welcome

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Thanks!
    And lol @ your phone sig line