Is Lennox no longer a reliable brand?

I will soon need to replace a 15+ year old York heat pump / air conditioner. I've been considering a Lennox XP14 system but checking out a furnace review site, I've read dozens and dozens of furious comments from owners who claim their Lennon systems (of various recent vintages) malfunctioned within the first year and then continued to have problems of varying sorts every few months.

Looking at reviews of modern York machines doesn't give any better a sense of optimism as the bad experiences number just as high (that is to say, in the hundreds for both brands).

This makes me wonder if either site's postings are truly representative of the bigger picture - could two of the top HP brands both have turned to junk in recent years? And if so, is there any brand left that is truly reliable and well-made?

But back to my initial question. What is the general consensus here with regards to the quality and reliability of modern Lennox HP system?

A company I worked for was a York dealer. I liked them and did not have any major issues with them, I put in 4 units in my brother's home back in 05 and have had 0 issues out of all four of them.

I am a Rheem / Ruud deal now and like that the best because how east it is to work on, and how little issues we get with them.

I will say this, I don't like Lennox and not put them on a high quality list. I don't like them because I see lots of board problems with them, more so than any other brand. Parts are expensive for them as well, and lots of times have I have to get them from Lennox or it won't work/ fit.

I can install any brand the customer wants, I would not install a few brands because my name is attached to it, and in my opinion, and experience with this product, Lennox is on that list of thngs I wont install.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

NOTHING is a reliable brand anymore Made too cheaply since that's what homeowners want.

Best bet is buy a mid line model and find the best possible installer. That's hard to do too.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    NOTHING is a reliable brand anymore Made too cheaply since that's what homeowners want.

Best bet is buy a mid line model and find the best possible installer. That's hard to do too.
    I not sure thats what home owners want ,i think it more about the global outsourcing of parts to to make it for less to satisfy investors ,home owners are paying good money for systems around here

In our area, most HOs beat the salesman down. That didn't happen in the 90s when I was selling. Now, it is rare to sell a job for full boat and we haven't raised labor price in years. When a vendor comes out, we discuss how to get a lower price from them. So they go to the factory who looks at how to get a lower priced unit made. That's why I say this is all being done to satisfy homeowners wanting the low price. We know what are costs are. A 95+ furnace costs us quite a bit less than a 90% furnace did 20 years ago. Hmmm, how did they do that? Can you get a family car for less than you did 20 years ago? Hardly! Maybe that's why cars are more reliable than they used to be and HVAC stuff isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMitch View Post
    is there any brand left that is truly reliable and well-made?
    Nope, except for some of the niche market products, it has pretty much all turned into junk to one degree or another.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    A company I worked for was a York dealer. I liked them and did not have any major issues with them, I put in 4 units in my brother's home back in 05 and have had 0 issues out of all four of them.

I am a Rheem / Ruud deal now and like that the best because how east it is to work on, and how little issues we get with them.
    How about the issue of lower airflow on these, or so I have heard? I like the ease as well, but all brands have their quirks.

I will say this, I don't like Lennox and not put them on a high quality list. I don't like them because I see lots of board problems with them, more so than any other brand. Parts are expensive for them as well, and lots of times have I have to get them from Lennox or it won't work/ fit.
    If you are a Lennox dealer the price may be lower. As with some other brands, if you are not a dealer you do not get a price break. Also, most brands have manufacturer specific parts.

I can install any brand the customer wants, I would not install a few brands because my name is attached to it, and in my opinion, and experience with this product, Lennox is on that list of thngs I wont install.
    We are a Lennox dealer and can install any brand the customer wishes, but our Lennox issues are rarely more than installer error or omission. There is that occasional unit, just like any other product on the market, that is a factory dud.

I can not say I would condemn one brand over another. Price, word of mouth, quality of install and confidence in the company you are dealing with should be highly considered.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    In our area, most HOs beat the salesman down. That didn't happen in the 90s when I was selling. Now, it is rare to sell a job for full boat and we haven't raised labor price in years. When a vendor comes out, we discuss how to get a lower price from them. So they go to the factory who looks at how to get a lower priced unit made. That's why I say this is all being done to satisfy homeowners wanting the low price. We know what are costs are. A 95+ furnace costs us quite a bit less than a 90% furnace did 20 years ago. Hmmm, how did they do that? Can you get a family car for less than you did 20 years ago? Hardly! Maybe that's why cars are more reliable than they used to be and HVAC stuff isn't.

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

We're also a Lennox dealer and back that 10 year parts warranty with an in house 10 year labor warranty. Couldn't do that if it was junk or the installers were unable to read simple installation instructions.

It does seem to me that i do alot more warranty part replacement than i did 4-5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Nope, except for some of the niche market products, it has pretty much all turned into junk to one degree or another.
    Agreed,
    None of the the brands are reliable any more.
    That's why the warranties are better, so people can feel more secure with the junk that the manufacturers are selling. I try to sell a 10 year labor warranty on most of my systems because I know it always pays for itself. We like to talk about how good the systems are that we install but if we told the truth it would be a lot harder sell. They are much more efficient & intuitive but not as reliable & a lot less forgiving if the system has any problems at all.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    If you are a Lennox dealer the price may be lower. As with some other brands, if you are not a dealer you do not get a price break. Also, most brands have manufacturer specific parts.

We are a Lennox dealer and can install any brand the customer wishes, but our Lennox issues are rarely more than installer error or omission. There is that occasional unit, just like any other product on the market, that is a factory dud.

I can not say I would condemn one brand over another. Price, word of mouth, quality of install and confidence in the company you are dealing with should be highly considered.
    While I agree with you about brand speciific parts, and the pricing issue, I will say this, Trane and Lennox seem to have the most brand specific parts.

And as you know, we can't be a dealer with every brand.

Air flow issues with Rheem / Ruud line is news to me.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM