I live in the Southeast.

I have a 97 Janitol heat pump that ran out of freon this summer. I was told there were leaks in the inside and outside unit coils. We refilled the freon about 3 or 4 years ago. This time were told to replace the coils but I wonder if this is a slow leak if this is necessary? Does it damage the unit or its efficency when it runs low?

A new coil is about 1/5 the cost of a whole new unit with a SEER of 14 and the new type of freon (pruorn?) At that ratio are the savings of a new unit more cost effective?

If I get a new unit with a 10 year warranty and it develops a leak with the warrranty cover a new coil or just more coolant.

Finally in terms of quality and durability is there much difference between Goodman, Amana and Carrier?

Answers to your questions

Yes
    Yes
    Coil
    Yes

It all depends on the size of your leak and how fat your wallet is, if it is a very small leak and you know there is a leak then you should have it serviced acording to the rate of the leak, letting it get a little low wont hurt much, but letting it get to low can damage the compressor. Getting it serviced once or even twice a year (since it runs in the summer and the winter) is not a bad idea even with a new unit, when they service it they should check the charge, if they dont then its time for a new service tech.

Many really tiny leaks that a tech can never find are in the schraeder valves. The reason they cannot be found leaking is that the tech has his/her gauge hose connected to it while searching for the leak.

Get the company claiming the coil needs to be replaced find the leak and show you where it is or get someone else to work on your system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

well its always easy to sell you 2 new coils but if you were told the leak was in both coils they should pressurize
    the system and find leaks then braze, also replace schraders
    cheeper remedy

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Many really tiny leaks that a tech can never find are in the schraeder valves. The reason they cannot be found leaking is that the tech has his/her gauge hose connected to it while searching for the leak.
    Sometimes the most obvious problems are the hardest to find...

How long do you plan to keep the house? If it's a short time, it'll probably be cheaper to just refill it. But check, because a valve core replacement is relatively cheap and could solve the problem for good.

If a reputable tech can charge the system and it last for a year or more I would say your problem is very small. Now if you want to spend high dollars on a new system thats fine. But just because its new doesn't mean you won't have any problems. New systems can develope or have slow, or worse leaks too. Many times an older system with a minor problem is better IMO than an expensive new system.