Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

Hello all. This is a rental unit so please base your answers on that fact. This is kind of long but I'm new to the AC problems and trying to make sure I don't confuse and provide as much info as possible.

Background:

About a month ago I had my AC unit charged because the tenants complained that the AC was not working. The repair person told me that it was leaking at the coil and another area (forgot the name though). The company said that the unit needs to be replaced and that the indoor equipment was fine. I took a gamble on just recharging the unit and hoping to last through the remainder of the summer. Now, the unit is not working again. So I've decided to have them replace the outdoor unit (Carrier 10 SEER), which he still has one remaining. The company will do the job less what I paid them to charge the system earlier. Below is the question.

Questions 1:

I asked the company if for some reason the indoor unit (handler) went bad will I have to then upgrade the entire unit (indoor and outdoor) to the new 13 SEER standards. The company rep said basically that I would not have any problem with replacing just the indoor unit (handler) and keeping the older 10 SEER outdoor unit. Is this true or not? The way I interpreted his answer is that the 13 or higher SEER indoor unit can be installed (mix match equipment)and it won't affect the operation of the AC unit other than efficiency. Hmmmm!! What do you think?

Question 2:

Another company said that they can install a 13 SEER outdoor unit with the older indoor unit and there'd be no affect on the operation of the AC unit other than efficiency because of the mixmatch SEER. Is this true or false? If this is true should I just install the 13 SEER unit that way if the indoor unit goes bad I'll already have the outdoor unit upgraded and ready for the new standards. Hmmmm!! What do you think?

Thanks for any insight

Most coil leaks are the INDOOR coil so if all you are doing is replacing outdoor, be warned that you may not be replacing the leaker or you may be facing an indoor leak in the near future.

Any time you have a mismatch, something is affected. Obviously putting a 13 SEER outdoor unit on old coil means you'll get less than 13 SEER. But capacity can be affected too. You have to overcharge the system to get it to work which means shorter compressor life.

Best bet is have the 10 SEER outdoor unit installed along with a matching coil now to eliminate headaches down the road.

I don't think you have given enough information on the equipment for an answer on your terms.
    Is it really straight a/c or a heat pump? Any model # on the existing air handler? That and more would help but just from what you've said I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a matched set. With rentals the less problems the better right?

Thanks. Its a heat pump unit. I will get the model number for you.

BaldLoonie, would you kindly elaborate on your statement:

"Any time you have a mismatch, something is affected. Obviously putting a 13 SEER outdoor unit on old coil means you'll get less than 13 SEER. But capacity can be affected too. You have to overcharge the system to get it to work which means shorter compressor life. "

I'm especially curious about why a 13 SEER condenser and 10 SEER coil system has to be overcharged to work.

No disrespect intended but, stop being a cheapskate. If though this is a rental unit you should treat it like your own home. Going the cheapest way is just asking for more problems down the road. Since you are replacing the condensing unit (outdoor unit) you should replace the air handler (indoor unit). Not only does this add value to your rental it also saves you $$ down the road in repair bills. If the original company has the matching 10 seer air handler to match I would go ahead with that if not I would shop around for a 13 seer system.

Wendel,

I think he meant that the other way around, if you use a 13seer coil and a 10seer condenser you would have to adjust the charge for the larger capacity of the coil.

Now my question:

If this is a heat pump and assuming it has a flowrater on it, won't it meter the necessary amount of refrigerant anyhow? How would this effect the heat pump performance? I think they need to install a TXV if going to the mismatch stuff regardless, and make sure the TXV matches the condensing unit.

Theres my .02

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Personally, I would "never" mismatch a HP or I would not do the job at all.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    While I understand your statement I would like clarification:

Are you saying you would not mismatch equipment of like or different brands?

Why would it matter what unit was outside as long as the capacity was matched?

"Mismatching" coils is done all the time to increase Seer rating, how or why would or would you not do this.

Thanks,

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Originally posted by workhorse
    No disrespect intended but, stop being a cheapskate. If though this is a rental unit you should treat it like your own home. Going the cheapest way is just asking for more problems down the road. Since you are replacing the condensing unit (outdoor unit) you should replace the air handler (indoor unit). Not only does this add value to your rental it also saves you $$ down the road in repair bills. If the original company has the matching 10 seer air handler to match I would go ahead with that if not I would shop around for a 13 seer system.
    I don't take it personally but it's not about being a cheapskate. It's about why pay for something you don't need. I'm sure you have been faced with a similar type delima and thought, why pay for all that when I only need this. In my case I'm thinking, why buy 13 when 10 did the job for years and the rest of the equipment is working, plus he has the unit that matches what I already have. But I do understand where you are coming from because I have done so in the past - but I don't just toss around $5-6K like its nothing without 1st doing my research. I just don't walk into things blindly and then regret it with empy pockets. I'm sure you can understand that.

The tech said the indoor handler equipment is fine and that all I need is the outdoor unit (per job order). I will get more clarification when I speak with him tomorrow now that I have more info though. I just don't

Oh I do treat the rental property like it's my own because it is mine or I would not care about the unit. I could just charge it up and sell it and make a sweet profit and let someone else suffer - but I'm not.

Peace

[Edited by methodical on 08-13-2006 at 02:12 PM]

Originally posted by citywide service
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    While I understand your statement I would like clarification:

Are you saying you would not mismatch equipment of like or different brands?

Why would it matter what unit was outside as long as the capacity was matched?

"Mismatching" coils is done all the time to increase Seer rating, how or why would or would you not do this.

Thanks,

CW.
    CW. If we are installing a HP system from new I like to use the same mfg. for both coil and condenser, if we are doing a change out of one part like the coil for example, I would want the same tonnage and same seer rating as the condenser, mfg. I would not care about in that example, hope this helps explain what I was saying.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by Stamas
    I don't think you have given enough information on the equipment for an answer on your terms.
    Is it really straight a/c or a heat pump? Any model # on the existing air handler? That and more would help but just from what you've said I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a matched set. With rentals the less problems the better right?
    Carrier Heat Pump Model No. 38YKB024300 (1992)

The Work Order states "found leak on accumulator and coil" that's it. I will get clarification today for which coil.

Thanks

Originally posted by citywide service
    Wendel,

I think he meant that the other way around, if you use a 13seer coil and a 10seer condenser you would have to adjust the charge for the larger capacity of the coil.

Now my question:

If this is a heat pump and assuming it has a flowrater on it, won't it meter the necessary amount of refrigerant anyhow? How would this effect the heat pump performance? I think they need to install a TXV if going to the mismatch stuff regardless, and make sure the TXV matches the condensing unit.

Theres my .02

CW.
    What is a TXV?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast