Trane air handler differences

Help
    I have a trane xl16i 3 ton condenser. It is paired with a Hyperion 30000 but air handler but I was quoted a 42000. Both are ahri matches. My contractor says switching them out would only get me a few more hundred but and the prices are about the same.
    Am I getting the full story here. What is the difference betweeneen matched air handlers with the same condenser?

Really appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhjhhjhh View Post
    Help
    I have a trane xl16i 3 ton condenser. It is paired with a Hyperion 30000 but air handler but I was quoted a 42000. Both are ahri matches. My contractor says switching them out would only get me a few more hundred but and the prices are about the same.
    Am I getting the full story here. What is the difference betweeneen matched air handlers with the same condenser?

Really appreciate the advice.
    You would want you contractor to do a manual J load calculation and determine what the sensible and latent load of your home is and then choose the correct combination. Just because a system has a HARI rating does not determine that it is the right combination for your home

Thanks . That has been done . He says it is fine . I am not sure.

Can I ask bluntly what is the expected performance difference between a 30000 btu handler vs a 40000 btu handler if both are paired with same 3 ton condenser?

Not really sure without model numbers. But those hyperion ahu's do match to different condensers.

Its not an a and b type of scenario. There are ahu's that can match multiple condensers.

But yea if you wanna ask someone whod remember the model numbers better than i do, you'd need them(M#).

Also i think if its a TAM as opposed to GAM those are more variable as far as matching goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhjhhjhh View Post
    Thanks . That has been done . He says it is fine . I am not sure.

Can I ask bluntly what is the expected performance difference between a 30000 btu handler vs a 40000 btu handler if both are paired with same 3 ton condenser?
    Well if said it was done and that it was fine, he has two numbers to use to match your system and there is no guess work involved. it is now a math equation.