blocking the returns increases efficiency

Thats what I was told by a H.O when I went to a service call that had a frozen coil. Went to each return to check airflow had none, took off grille and cardboard was taped to the back, asked H.O about it and thats what he told me! I mean he read it on the internet so it's got to be true right! Anyways took all grilles off and removed cardboard good as new!

And if you remove the condenser fan, it will become even more efficient cause your not paying to run a motor. Haha.

I love the ones with the plastic deflectors throwing the air away from the glass and straight toward the returns.

Blocking return note: It's extremely rare but I did a temporary fix actually doing just that last summer. I went on a call for a/c. HO says cooling was marginal. I get there and the first thing I notice is the humidity in the house. After checking unit, temps etc it turned out he was in fact moving too much air. The guy had a single r/a in the wall beside the furnace and a 1 1/2 ton a/c. Even at low speed this furnace could probably have handled three tons with the outstanding air flow he had.

I blocked half his grille with a file folder. Brought the td from about 13 degrees to 20. I said lets try this a couple days. Problem solved! I went back with a box of 16 inch insulflex and took it from the top of the furnace (counterflow), coiled a bunch in the attic and cut in a 14x20 something r/a in the ceiling and abandoned the existing noise maker. That solved the temp drop issue and all the noise that bugged him while watching tv.

VERY rare to find a furnace moving too much air in Oklahoma. Sorry ductwork installation is largely to blame...

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    VERY rare to find a furnace moving too much air in Oklahoma. Sorry ductwork installation is largely to blame...
    True. I have seen it maybe 3 times in 30 some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    True. I have seen it maybe 3 times in 30 some years.
    90% of the time blower should be set on "High" to help compensate for crappy ductwork. If there isn't enough temperature drop inside, a dirty condenser is typically to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-HVAC/R View Post
    And if you remove the condenser fan, it will become even more efficient cause your not paying to run a motor. Haha.
    And even more efficient when the compressor stops running. :-) :-)
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Hey glennhvac. What size is that furnace and I don't think its running too well in heat now.

You cant permanently restrict them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Hey glennhvac. What size is that furnace and I don't think its running too well in heat now.

You cant permanently restrict them like that.
    The furnace is 70K max with a three ton drive and there is a damper on the r/a. The damper is closed about 25% in the summer, open in winter.