+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water heater burn up.

Post Likes

Water heater burn up.

Found this one today, pretty nice. Not exactly sure how it happened, I'm guessing it back fired. Also the idiots had it plumbed backwards.

Attachment 276501

Post Likes
    D@MN
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    It did not "backfire" - you would have soot around the top of the burner opening.

there looked to be a leak at one of the connections at the gas valve or the gas valve itself.

We had a gas valve awhile back that was leaking out of the a seam in the aluminium casting - if conditions were right it would have ignited.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edbrown View Post
    It did not "backfire" - you would have soot around the top of the burner opening.

there looked to be a leak at one of the connections at the gas valve or the gas valve itself.

We had a gas valve awhile back that was leaking out of the a seam in the aluminium casting - if conditions were right it would have ignited.
    I was thinking more along the lines of it backing up to the gas valve not out of chamber.

Post Likes
    wow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edbrown View Post

I agree with Ed on this one. There was a leak at the gas valve that ignited. Not a backfire.

Post Likes
    Ya I guess that makes more sense, first time I've seen this but judging by the soot it must have been.

Post Likes
    Mobilehome, right, and outside access?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I changed out a "Leaking" water heater yesterday, went to attach my garden hose to the drain, the drain fell off in my hand, found their "Leak" Luckily there was so much sediment in the thing that the hole was plugged and didnt spray me as the drain fell off. I have seen a few with markings similar to yours, I have had some which the gas control itself was leaking, lucky nothing else caught on fire!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Mobilehome, right, and outside access?
    Yep trailer. It was a sad install hot was plumbed in on the cold, it had a concentric vent, this heater wasn't setup for that, the 3" vent pipe was to short so they slid the 4" over the vent instead. Just embarrassing.

Post Likes
    I have seen this a couple of times before. One was leaking at the Baso because it was loose and the other was leaking around the temp setting stem. More often I've found the burner tube nut loose, but I've never had one of those ignite.

Post Likes

Question

Any pics of the water piping? I see it is a bottom feeder. That means there must be a vacuum breaker at the top.

Looks like a leak at the valve. Was the insurance contacted on this?

What about venting?

Post Likes
    They didnt have a vacuum breaker, I put a top feed in after. The venting was not done correct either, the exaust was to short so they ran the 4" combustion air pipe over the 3" ex. The ins wasn't called it was a rental with no insurance I bet. It was by far the worst install I have seen, i know it's hard in that small area but damn it was bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Any pics of the water piping? I see it is a bottom feeder. That means there must be a vacuum breaker at the top.
    I have never seen a vacuum breaker on one, nor have I installed one or been dinged on inspection for not having one. We have a lot of MH in my area!!

I get the idea for a garden hose, but what do they look like for this situation and could it be someplace other than at the WH itself?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes

Smile

When you feed the cold in from the bottom code requires a vacuum breaker at the top discharge to prevent siphoning.
    2009 IRC P2803.7 Vacuum Relief valve. Bottom fed tank-type water heaters and bottom fed tanks connected to water heaters shall have a vacuum relief installed that complies with ANSI Z21.22.

HTH

Post Likes
    Maybe that's why they feed it from the top and discharged from the bottom ha ha.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in