Thread: DDR VALVE

DDR VALVE

Can I replace the DDR valve with a OLDR valve on a Margaux rack? If so, what are the deciding factors wether to use an OLDR or a LDR? It seems to me a few years back I heard that you had to come back in with a DDR on a Margaux rack!!

In order to get the condensed defrost gas back to the liquid header on a HG defrost rack we need to establish a pressure difference between the hot gas (or Kool Gas) and the liquid header.

There are two basic methods to accomplish this. One is the discharge method where you have a differential regulator (DDR) after the tee for the HG header. The other is the liquid method where you install a differential regulator (OLDR) in the liquid line upstream of of the liquid header.

They both accomplish the same thing, although the liquid method is probably a bit more energy efficient because the discharge method increases the compressor discharge pressure above that of the condenser. The liquid method however will cause a loss of apparent subcooling due to the pressure drop in the liquid feed, so its probably best you have a mechanical subcooler when using the liquid method.

Otherwise, the difference is the DDR energizes to fully open and the OLDR de-energizes to open.

http://sporlanonline.com/90-50.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    In order to get the condensed defrost gas back to the liquid header on a HG defrost rack we need to establish a pressure difference between the hot gas (or Kool Gas) and the liquid header.

There are two basic methods to accomplish this. One is the discharge method where you have a differential regulator (DDR) after the tee for the HG header. The other is the liquid method where you install a differential regulator (OLDR) in the liquid line upstream of of the liquid header.

They both accomplish the same thing, although the liquid method is probably a bit more energy efficient because the discharge method increases the compressor discharge pressure above that of the condenser. The liquid method however will cause a loss of apparent subcooling due to the pressure drop in the liquid feed, so its probably best you have a mechanical subcooler when using the liquid method.

Otherwise, the difference is the DDR energizes to fully open and the OLDR de-energizes to open.

http://sporlanonline.com/90-50.pdf

Or in plain English DDR's are de energized during defrost and OLDRs are energized during defrost.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Or in plain English DDR's are de energized during defrost and OLDRs are energized during defrost.
    You have a knack of cutting through my mumbo-jumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    You have a knack of cutting through my mumbo-jumbo.

I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Only if the return gas fron the liquid line does not return to the discharge line. I have seen a lot of margaux racks return to the discharge line (Food Lion). If you have tees and check valves on all your liquid lines attached to another header use a DDR.
    The largest room in the world is the room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    Only if the return gas fron the liquid line does not return to the discharge line. I have seen a lot of margaux racks return to the discharge line (Food Lion). If you have tees and check valves on all your liquid lines attached to another header use a DDR.
    This may well be what NANOTECH is concerned about.

Good info!

I've never run across a rack set up like that, but it would certainly work...as long as you have a DDR.