+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power interruptions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Power interruptions

How do you folks deal with brief power interruptions like during a storm where the power my blink on and off in a second or so. I'm dealing with the JCI FX line of controllers and JACE's. It seems a power blip causes some of them not to comeback online and communicate. It's begining to get old having to go power cycle them after a power blip to get communicaiton back. It may be just the JACE I'm not sure.

I'm open for suggestions.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Looks like its not avaliable yet. It will be great once it is and if it's reasonably priced.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    Looks like its not avaliable yet. It will be great once it is and if it's reasonably priced.
    Yeah, it was really just the first item on google. There are plenty of 24VAC battery backup systems out there though, mostly marketed for security camera systems.

Post Likes

Check the JACE battery

Most JACE's ride through power blips like that just fine. They all have an on board battery. If the battery is more than 2 to 3 years old it may need to be replaced. Check the diagnostics in the Jace for battery issues.
    You can easily judge the character of a man
    by how he treats those who can do nothing for him
    -James D. Miles

Post Likes
    We have had similar issue with FX-07's under a JACE and even an NCE. The FX line doesn't appear to go offline on short power cycles to where the supervisor knows it. Ours do communicate again but they start with all their points back at the default and ever get a command from the JACE until the next change. (i.e. OCC)

The solution from JCI was copy the default tuning policy and give it a max write time so that it will write to the controller every so often. We use 10 minutes so after a power cycle about 10 minutes later everything is fine. I only set this tunning policy for the few points I know I need to have written to by that JACE.

Also the JACE has an on-board UPS but at critical sites we have often put in a UPS to power the controller to keep them ridding through a power outage. This then causes other problems because the controllers run while the equipment does not often causing a large number of alarms and other issues with the programming getting hung up in an alarm mode.

-Jeremy

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses. The problem I'm having is that all of my points are yellow in the JACE. But when i get to the controller, it is actually working and I can verify that by looking at the points in the display. Its like the jace and it lost communication and the jace doesn't know that the controller is actually functioning properly. All I have to do is power cycle the controller and all is well. Even tried a remote reboot of the jace but that didn't work.

Post Likes
    I bet you it is communicating but the JACE has not caught up yet because it only "pings" every so often. If you right click on the device and go Action-> Ping all the points will start to come back from being yellow

Post Likes
    I tried that. It's been like this for days.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the communication module in your field controller is not resetting properly. Not sure what model or protocol you are using but I would look into firmware updates or known issues with the field panel communication card.

-Jeremy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in