Goodman ECM blower motors

Anyone else having trouble with these? I have replaced two on units that were less than one year old. Both were blowing fuses on 24 volt. These units only had a sequencer and relay. I thought at first it may be a short in t-stat wire but after disconnecting all t-stat wires and connecting red to green at the airhandler it would pop the fuse. Relay good, both primary and secondary volts good. Motor solved the problem in both cases.

i heard goodman and amana are having some major problems with these VSD's. they're garbage from what i've been told by a company that sells their equipment exclusively.....
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Aren't they the same ECM motors that all companies use GE I think?

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Aren't they the same ECM motors that all companies use GE I think?
    Yup they are what most use, Trane is starting to use Emerson on some units.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Goodman switched to Emerson DC motors back in Oct/09 furnaces starting with GMVC. We have had many dead on arrival some even running backwards on install. Have not had any problems myself with the GE DC motors from early GMV models.

If it's an air handler it can get wet in the terminal plug on the motor. Goodman wants them turned so they are oriented downward (moisture issues), and a bit of eletrical silicone helps too.

GE sold their VSD division to Gentec I thought. I also thought that amana was making their own VSD's and that was the main issue.

Didn't notice the Emerson drives on trane. Virtually the same as gentec's with the same plugs and all, right?
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Angry I'm done with Goodman!!

Had an Gentec ECM go bad on a Goodman package unit not two years old. No problem since it's under warrantee, but guess what? Nobody has them. Goodman distributor says they are on back order nationally and they won't see any come in for maybe one or two weeks. So now my customer is stuck without A/C in this unbearable Florida heat for an unknown amount of time. Makes me look really bad. I'll never use Goodman again.

Quote Originally Posted by david40 View Post
    Had an Gentec ECM go bad on a Goodman package unit not two years old. No problem since it's under warrantee, but guess what? Nobody has them. Goodman distributor says they are on back order nationally and they won't see any come in for maybe one or two weeks. So now my customer is stuck without A/C in this unbearable Florida heat for an unknown amount of time. Makes me look really bad. I'll never use Goodman again.
    How about a relay and PSC motor to bridge the gap?

There is a service bulletin out on this, speed tap #4 on a certain date range of equipment has an issue with low resistance, causing a low voltage short

There is definitely a reliability issue with X13 type motors beyond this particular problem, it is not exclusive to Goodman

Doing the PSC and relay occured to me but when the homeowner heard the distributor say that would void the warranty they said no.
    I was unaware other makers were having the same issue, you would think they could figure this out. There is no excuse for running out of replacements especially if they know they are all failing.
    I know on the GE ECM's the circuit board is not embedded in potting material and you can just replace the 2 dollar part if you know how to solder.