Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickeyc View Post
    How could a boss let them go out and deal with customers dressed like that, they looked like gangsters instead of HVAC service guys.

ummm, thats what the sting proved, they were'nt service techs.

boss is a "gangster" as you say
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Quote Originally Posted by stay gold jonny View Post
    Performance base pay is an absolute joke! You spend years learning this craft and developing your skills as tech and some jerkoff owner decides "the bottom line could be better" forcing TECHS to become SALESMAN. I know as a tech that sales comes with the territory, but when it becomes necessary to sell in order to make a living that's when I'm out of this business! What ever happened to an HONEST DAYS WORK FOR AN HONEST DAYS PAY! I feel bad for guys starting out in this trade, lots to learn and no one to teach em, just get in the truck and do your worst! We can all thank the Airtime 500 crowd and even Ron Smith for this! Just a note here I like Ron Smiths book, I think that some companies take the "spiff pay" a little to far.
    I once worked for a company that implemented AirTime 500 principles after I was hired in 2000. The system pays handsome commissions if you sell repairs, accessory products, replacement systems, service agreements, or IAQ products. The problem lies in the technicians that do the work, i. e. if the tech is a crook he will earn more money by lying to people. When I behaved like the honest guy (b/c I have a conscience), it led to me getting unexpectedly fired after 6 years of employment at that company. I exposed a scam that one of our office personnel was running, which was stealing maintenance contract renewals from techs, directly stealing money out of the techs' pockets. The owners of the company did not care that this was happening, and suggested that the techs needed to put more effort into keeping customers. How could we do that without sitting on the phone all day, making and taking calls or checking up on our contracts daily? Too bad for you, they told us.

There was only one other honest tech that I worked with, compared with 4 others who earned big paychecks by making unnecessary repairs and conning customers into buying accessory products that would not serve any benefit to them. Behind closed doors, the owners told us to pressure customers to replace equipment that was over 10 years old and backed it up with literature "proving" anything that old is costing extra money to keep operational. They also pressured us techs to keep our stats up by maximizing dollars charged per call using whatever means necessary, including shady tactics. Also sell the customer any accessory possible, regardless of need for the product(s) or financial situation.

That company continues to lie to the public every day with nearly-illegal advertising, and I wish I knew a way to effectively get the word out, but it's difficult to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessnevets View Post
    I once worked for a company that implemented AirTime 500 principles after I was hired in 2000. The system pays handsome commissions if you sell repairs, accessory products, replacement systems, service agreements, or IAQ products. The problem lies in the technicians that do the work, i. e. if the tech is a crook he will earn more money by lying to people. When I behaved like the honest guy (b/c I have a conscience), it led to me getting unexpectedly fired after 6 years of employment at that company. I exposed a scam that one of our office personnel was running, which was stealing maintenance contract renewals from techs, directly stealing money out of the techs' pockets. The owners of the company did not care that this was happening, and suggested that the techs needed to put more effort into keeping customers. How could we do that without sitting on the phone all day, making and taking calls or checking up on our contracts daily? Too bad for you, they told us.

There was only one other honest tech that I worked with, compared with 4 others who earned big paychecks by making unnecessary repairs and conning customers into buying accessory products that would not serve any benefit to them. Behind closed doors, the owners told us to pressure customers to replace equipment that was over 10 years old and backed it up with literature "proving" anything that old is costing extra money to keep operational. They also pressured us techs to keep our stats up by maximizing dollars charged per call using whatever means necessary, including shady tactics. Also sell the customer any accessory possible, regardless of need for the product(s) or financial situation.

That company continues to lie to the public every day with nearly-illegal advertising, and I wish I knew a way to effectively get the word out, but it's difficult to prove.
    I am willing to bet this is the model used by all these franchise joints as well. The efficiency BS is a big one, never taking into account the years it takes to just break even on the energy 'savings' and that's providing some multi hundred dollar part does not go bad.

I can't even count the number of homes I go into where some old lady or couple comfortable with a rotary phone has some thermostat the tech can barely program on the wall. Set to 'hold temp' of course. These sales add up for the jerks. Why put a simple digital non programmable on for the old lady when I can throw the whole gizamatron on and snag a couple bucks extra in my pocket?

I don't see the point in commissions for selling parts and repairs. IMO techs should be paid accordingly to their experience and to do their job, to do repairs. If something is broken you aren't really selling them to replace the part that you are required to do the repair. I can see from a management point of view for a small business that it saves them money and makes them more money, but running an honest business have much better benefits, since you know you will have guys that will just be "parts changers" to make more money in their pockets. Selling a new unit to someone to get them to upgrade for better efficiency, sure I could see commission being worthy on that behalf or because their current one the costs of repairs vs. the cost of a new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinAdv View Post
    I know on the video they were saying they would charge 200 to reconnect that wire that seems a bit much
    They would charge $200 to reconnect a wire, but they are calling another company crooks?

there are several companies like that in the Boise area, that is why the one I work for offers free second opinions.....many a time I have put a wire back on a cap, or turned a disconnect back on for a homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    They would charge $200 to reconnect a wire, but they are calling another company crooks?
    I went to a call yesterday it was a system we installed a few years ago but the lady just bought the house and went to turn on the unit and it did not work.

I went out there found a blown fuse in the disconnect. I replaced it and said have a nice day no charge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123