Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    have you considered two seperate systems?

even though zoning would be less expensive, most builders around here(cheap) always install two(cheap) systems in a home such as yours. in this scenario you should have at least one working when the other fails, and they will fail.

The only way I would consider a two system approach would be when the selected A/C system needs more than 5 ton to meet the house sens heat and latent heat gain. Other than that, I stick with zoning.

And, you really shouldn't have a problem with the equipment when installed right.

In my line of business, the majority, over 85%, of problems are cause by the installation, not manufacturer's components.

Originally posted by gbondy
    Thanks, but I'm really looking for the flexibility of the Infinity / Evolution.
    Call the the local distributor, Koch Air. They will be able to recommend a quality dealer that works with high end Carrier or Bryant equipment. If you get the run around, please post again. I know a couple of guys in the office.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I am in Saint Louis, Shaw area near MoBG. I just had an Infinity system installed at the end of June (got in the Carrier CoolCash Rebate extension).

First off, don't even bother with Sears. Of the other Carrier bids - Rhymes and ClimateMasters, I ended up selecting Rhymes. Sales rep was Sam Darr IIRC, very nice guy. Came out several times, last visit was to run Heat Gain/Loss calculations for official size determination. Rhymes number is (is this allowed?) 314- never mind - here is a link to their wedsite http://www.rhymesheating.com/. If you do call them - tell them Craig sent you, I get $50 or something like that for the referral.

Anyway, their crew showed up on time and on the right day. Four guys took eight hours to remove and install system included fabbing some new sheetmetal. Cleaned up after themselves and were polite. As you can tell I am satisfied with the install though I can not talk about their Service side yet.

ClimateMasters came out and basically tried to sell me everything including a new heating system. They were the highest bid. The word I got from several people was that they are the ones to get with installs in older house using the high velocity vents. A good friend had a three unit zone system installed in his house. Happy but a lot poorer.

My Infinity system is a 4 ton Heat Pump unit. Beware that they are quite large. Carrier claims 105 to 115 degrees out of the vents and that the unit is good down to 30 to 35 degrees outside temperature. Depending on the weather that may allow me to avoid using the boiler until mid-December and turn it off in early March. My wife is a freeze baby.

You will also receive a $300 break on your Federal Taxes with a unit of 15 SEER or above. You need to check with your utility company and the state as well for rebates/breaks for buying Energy Star certified units. IIRC Illinois had some rebates that Missouri did not.

I had the Infinity "Air Purifier" put in as well. Can't tell if it really is worth the extra money (three dogs). The unit runs pretty much all the time with daytime temps set at 75 and night temps at 78. You know how our weather has been lately.

I can't say if the unit has saved us any money with AmerenUE. We are on the budget plan and the bills don't give you the previous years useage.

The Inifity System can be put togther with zones controlled by extra Infinity controllers - though I don't know that this would be more efficient than using multiple units. I assume that dampers are put in the plenums off the air handler to control air to each area. It wasn't worth the effort/money for us - two story brick with the air handler in the attic.

[Edited by craig001 on 08-12-2006 at 10:45 AM]

You might want to look at the Bryant system Evolution system. Pretty much same thing just different lable and the Bryant cost a little bit less, so you could use that extra cash to have some other goodies installed, Maybe a heat recovery ventaltor, humidifier, ecab air filtration, ect... Both the Bryant or the Carrier if installed correctly you will be very happy with, and Im glad to see a homeowner how is looking for quality equipmet and installation and not the cheapest price, so I say thank you! Call carrier and Bryant to find a Factory Authorized Dealer in your neighborhood, I would not recommend using someone who can get the equipment but is not a Factory Authorized Dealer. ecspcailly with the Innfinity or evolution system, its pretty high tech stuff.

Don't buy a carrier!

My Infinity 18 was installed with a bad condenser that had to be replaced immediately.

Since then...

The drain pan was cracked and leaked water on the blower unit and control board.

The blower fan vibrates enough to shake the house wall. It was replaced and the replacement vibrates worse. Waiting for another replacement.

The unit is less efficient than the 11 yr old builder spec unit it replaced. Energy usage is up 15% over the previous 2 years and its not a particularly hot summer here.

Calling carrier is useless. They can't answer questions, but tell me that the local distributor will call. After a week and half without the distributor calling, I give carrier another call and they tell me that they've closed my file and nobody needs to call me back. WHAT?

Yesterday, the unit quit cooling completely. Word is it needs yet another condenser. No AC for a few days...

My installer's inabilities have also added to the problems, but that's not necessarily carriers fault even though carrier has given them awards for being a great installer.

Installer related issues: originally installed blower unit leaning back (won't drain) and had to redo the install; left natural gas line turned off when they left (including water heater gas); created a nice fire ball when they relit the water heater; blew up capacitors trying to get the original bad condenser to run; showing up to do work without scheduling with me to be home;

I can see why carrier would give them awards.

My advice is to buy something else. Maybe a Trane?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by carrier is evil
    Don't buy a carrier!

My Infinity 18 was installed with a bad condenser that had to be replaced immediately.

Since then...

The drain pan was cracked and leaked water on the blower unit and control board.

The blower fan vibrates enough to shake the house wall. It was replaced and the replacement vibrates worse. Waiting for another replacement.

The unit is less efficient than the 11 yr old builder spec unit it replaced. Energy usage is up 15% over the previous 2 years and its not a particularly hot summer here.

Calling carrier is useless. They can't answer questions, but tell me that the local distributor will call. After a week and half without the distributor calling, I give carrier another call and they tell me that they've closed my file and nobody needs to call me back. WHAT?

Yesterday, the unit quit cooling completely. Word is it needs yet another condenser. No AC for a few days...

My installer's inabilities have also added to the problems, but that's not necessarily carriers fault even though carrier has given them awards for being a great installer.

Installer related issues: originally installed blower unit leaning back (won't drain) and had to redo the install; left natural gas line turned off when they left (including water heater gas); created a nice fire ball when they relit the water heater; blew up capacitors trying to get the original bad condenser to run; showing up to do work without scheduling with me to be home;

I can see why carrier would give them awards.

My advice is to buy something else. Maybe a Trane?
    The installation is likely the cause of your problems.

Shame on Carrier and their distributer for not getting involved.

What city/state are you located in??

Smile

Just had a bryant evoloution installed about 3 months ago, let me tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread to me.
    Doug's refrigeration did the install for me here in thibodaux, la., where it gets very hot.
    The unit is flawless i replaced everything ducts, indoor and outdoor units and attic tent installed.
    Judging for the last 3 months my electric bill has been cut in half.... What was a 490 dollar electric bill is now a 249 dollar electric bill. this has been the case for all 3 months.
    Myself i would highly reccomend a carrier or bryant infinity/ evoloution unit. I'm sold on the evoloution control.
    Just a humble opionion from a relieved homeowner.

A VERY happy home owner here!

I bought a 4600 sp ft home in 2004 that had (2) dual fuel systems that were installed when the home was built in 1990. They were high end dual fuel systems with condensing furnaces. They did a nice job on the duct work but had hacked in the equipment. Mostly in the way they had the dual fuel controls set up. They never had the dual fuel controls at all and had tried to rig their own. The original home owner never knew the difference. The house stayed warm by using the furnaces.

After a ton of research I did a complete change out last fall. I went back with (2) Carrier Infinity 38YDB systems and replaced the furnaces with FE air handlers. In my area propane can't come close to the electric rates.

WOW I have said it before but will repeat it Caddilac!!

Everything these pros on here say is true. It makes no difference what you buy if its not sized and installed right.

I must admitt that I have a good friend that owns the HVAC company and we put these 2 systems in on the weekends and yes he made me a great deal or I might not have spent the money to have 2 top of the line systems.

He took his time and we did everything exactly by the book including new charge lines which we even used ACR tubing so there would be no sags.

I have no complaints. After getting the 38YDB036 system installed the local dist found we could no longer get a 38YDB024 so they sent us a single sp cond unit until the new 25HNA's were available.

Now we are going to replace both cond units with the 25HNA's. The dist is taking the single sp 2 ton unit back and the contractor wants the 3 ton for his shop.

I call that top of the line customer relations!

Even with the single sp 2 ton my energy bills have dropped like a rock.

My last bill= 29 days in billing period both this year and last. Used 3300 kwh last year and 2200 kwh this year. And this has been the hottest summer in years!

Carrier says they are selling comfort systems and I have to agree. The humidity has not been over 48% in my house all summer and stays in the 43-46% range most of the time.

Proper install is the key no matter which system is installed!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I think they should start an "Infinity/Evolution Users Section" on this site!!lol!

It'd probably get more traffic than some of the ones that are here now..

Seriously, another Infinity/Evolution observation. This system is VERY sensitive to proper installation. My installers made a small mistake putting it in, which turned out to be very important - once they fixed it and PRECISELY followed ALL the installation instructions, including NO backwards slope of the unit at ALL and using the EXACT transition specified between the furnace and coil. The only way in which the final install differs from the instructions is that the LL filter dryer is outside near the unit instead of inside near the coil; what I've been told on here is that the location really doesn't matter for a 15' lineset.

I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is that the system be installed PRECISELY according to the installation instructions. The Infinity/Evolution System is wonderful, but it is pickier about proper installation than "lower grade" equipment.. the install instructions are clear and well written if you keep in mind that they are intended to be followed to the letter. There's another thread on here right now where the install instructions obviously were not closely followed.. that system is NOT going to work correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12