McQuay WGZ Series Chiller

Anyone have positive or negative operating experience to share on McQuay WGZ series chillers (water cooled, scroll compressors)? I'm particulaly interested in the 200-ton capacity model.

I'm mostly interested in reliability, performance, and ability to load follow.

nothing wrong with the WGZ but yur always going to be cycling compressors since they are scrolls. I would go with a screw or centrifugal. WMC with turbocor compressors would be what I would go with.

Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    nothing wrong with the WGZ but yur always going to be cycling compressors since they are scrolls. I would go with a screw or centrifugal. WMC with turbocor compressors would be what I would go with.
    Do they make a model with digital scroll compressor that could do a better job of load-following without cycling compressors so much?

I know it was in the talks, you might check with your rep.

digital scroll first stage of each circuit or turbocore if you can afford it. the ones we have had saw some problems with leaks but ran ok when full.

We installed one with hot gas option.
    Factory tee failed and lost charge, oil every where. Replacement tee was much heavier copper.
    Next all the line wiring after breaker melted and lost the 500 va transformer. Every terminal was loose as a goose. Just make sure you check.
    the mcquay plc is sweet.
    Water cooled unit has small foot print and pretty quiet.
    Even with the troubles I'd put another one in.
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

all the wiring connections suppose to be checked at start up. true with all brands.

Get a McQuay WMC with Turbocors and you won't have to worry about compressors cycling on and off, oil leaks, or temperature "hunting". I just hope you have a good, stable power supply. McQuay's smaller tonnage water-cooled, and all of their DX air-cooled equipment has come a long way since the days in which their bad reputation was earned.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

True about the tee's snapping on scroll series, but found out if you replace the factory nuts with locknuts on the main rails. It allows the rubber isolators to properly absorb lateral torque on startups. Whenever we would remove all base bolts, sooner or later,call came in with broken tee/lost charge. Noticed during all maintenance pm's, ones that never snapped were all the chillers. That we kept main rails secure to frame. This is for all the guys out there, who are wondering:why?!!.