I am getting my crawlspace fixed and many of the basement companies recommend the SaniDry dehumidifiers

No but

I have not used them, but generally I think most dehus are good products. Their vices are minor, in my experience limited to noise, heat, and electricity consumption. In a basement application the first two might be a limited problem. Depending on the application the dehu might not run too much of the time, and if so then energy efficiency reduces in value. Every one of my friends who has tried a dehu in their house, is glad they did. Whatever brand it was.

Despite all this, I tend to think of the Thermastor line as the Mercedes of the industry. It is always *nice* to have quiet, not too much heat, and minimal electricity use. Now that Honeywell has joined in marketing some of these, I am hopeful the company can expand.

Have you got any technical specs on the Sanidry product? Would you be willing to post some of them for our (lazy) benefit?

Best of luck -- Pstu

The Sani-Dry has similar specs & Energy Star specs. to the Santa Fe. TB

Should have similar specs., looks like it's made by Thermastor... this picture looks just like my SanteFe:
    http://www.superiorbasementsystems.c...SaniDry1sm.jpg

SaniDry dehumidifier

I have a SaniDry in my home and it's worked great for two years, no problems. There's a website at www.sanidrydehumidifier.com where you can get the the specs on the product.

Hope this helps.

SaniDry may be a private label brand

SaniDry may be a private label brand for the Therma-Stor Santa Fe Advance and Classic product. Do not know pricing difference.

ERV/HRV vs. EZ Breathe

I am having some air borne mold issues in my basement. Walls are all dry, the basement has been finished for 4 years but I am beginning to get some musty smell and there is some mold build up showing on some of my storage boxes in the back near the furnace.

Can any one recommend a possible solution? I had EZ Breathe people stop by but their cost is $1500. It throws inside air out and fresh air has to be pulled in from the outside. Sounds energy inefficient to me, but should work.

Can a dehumidifier work or what about ERV/HRV? What about providing additional supply and return in the ducts in basement? Please suggest your ideas. Thanks.

Not going to be able to control RH in humid climates by bringing in outside air with out dehumidifying it first. That throws out the ERV/HRV and the EZ breathe. A dehumidifier would be your best bet. Do you know how much mold is air borne.

Quote Originally Posted by ppmehra View Post
    I am having some air borne mold issues in my basement. Walls are all dry, the basement has been finished for 4 years but I am beginning to get some musty smell and there is some mold build up showing on some of my storage boxes in the back near the furnace.

Can any one recommend a possible solution? I had EZ Breathe people stop by but their cost is $1500. It throws inside air out and fresh air has to be pulled in from the outside. Sounds energy inefficient to me, but should work.

Can a dehumidifier work or what about ERV/HRV? What about providing additional supply and return in the ducts in basement? Please suggest your ideas. Thanks.
    Exhausting air to outside sucks in outside air. The basement will be wet when the outside air is damp and dry when the outside air is cold/dry.
    Keeping the indoor %RH to <50%RH with a good dehumidifier will eliminate the musty odor in a couple weeks. Get the best dehu you can afford. The best, like Santa Fe & Sani-Dry work well at the cool basement temperature and use much less electricity than residiential dehus. The best dehus are constructed of commercial grade components for long life. Check thermastor.com for more info. There are a few dent &scratch unit at a considerable discount this fall. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks for the postings. I will look into some of the options to buy a good de-humidifier. Does it mean that air borne mold will be eliminated on its own once moisture is taken care of using de-humidifier?

No air borne mold could get worse because when it drys out it will become more prone to becoming air borne. Once moisture is removed it will become dormant. If RH becomes to high or comes in contact with water it will go back to an active state.