A.O. Smith Cyclone 3 years and done!

I had a tank heat exchanger pop over the weekend. The tank is only 3 years old, 2 months out of warranty. What a joke. BTH-300A. I sent the factory all the info and they are perplexed. I have another tank right next to it with corrosion in the flue vent elbow. It might be next. These things list at $$$$ and only last 3 years. Lame. Anybody have any issues with these tanks?
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 07-10-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Pricing Removed
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

had the same problem with the same heater. I found a solution to the high failure rate of commercial heaters though.

Lochinvar water heating systems. You have a storage tank and a heater, which is essentially a boiler. The tank lasts forever because it doesn't have a fire under it. The boiler also lasts basically forever. eventually the heat exchanger may plug or leak, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

on top of all those benefits, the price is less than 1/3 of your A.O. smith price. There is more piping and labor though.

heres two I installed. One is a standard side by side installation and the other is stacked due to limited space.

Name:  lochinvar 1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  lochinvar 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  56.1 KB

About a year ago I got a 5pm emergency call for a Rheem commercial water heater at a small apartment building that had quit working. I found that it had a bad induced draft motor. I got ahold of someone at our local Rheem water heater dealer. They told me they had a bunch of these draft motor assemblies and said to come over and they would wait for me. When I got there, the guy looked it up on their computer and told me "whoops, that part is obsolete and not available any more, and nothing crosses over for it". He said he did some search on his computer and there were none available anywhere in the country. He told me my only option was to replace the whole water heater. I don't remember how old the water heater was, but it looked almost new. Of course, he said that the draft motor wasn't under warranty. It gets better. The new water heater was close to ten-grand if we wanted it, and we didn't have an account set up with them, so it would have to be a cash sale, and our office was closed and I couldn't get a hold of my boss.

I called the guy at the apartment back and told him the bad news. He said they needed hot water and to do whatever I needed to do. I then called some co-workers to find someone to help me with the swap-out.

I put the thing on my personal credit card, got the guy from the water heater place to deliver the thing to the apartment building, got someone to help me install it, and was done and out of there around 11pm.

My shop gave me a check to reimburse me the next day. It was some nice overtime, but the whole ordeal sucked, for what should have been an easy fix.

P.S... Nice work Craig1. That is a good idea that you came up with. It's good to think out of the box sometimes.

Another benefit to the lochinvars is that they are able to meet efficiency requirements without inducers or flue dampers. They do have a pump though, but the pumps do seem to hold up better than dampers

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    had the same problem with the same heater. I found a solution to the high failure rate of commercial heaters though.

Lochinvar water heating systems. You have a storage tank and a heater, which is essentially a boiler. The tank lasts forever because it doesn't have a fire under it. The boiler also lasts basically forever. eventually the heat exchanger may plug or leak, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

on top of all those benefits, the price is less than 1/3 of your A.O. smith price. There is more piping and labor though.

heres two I installed. One is a standard side by side installation and the other is stacked due to limited space.

Name:  lochinvar 1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  lochinvar 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  56.1 KB
    Sad thing is that is what we took out to install these new AO Smiths. They wanted the extra efficiency.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!