Post Likes

OK... just one more van thread...

So GA (me) is looking at replacing the service van...

Most of the young pre-owned offerings have the 6.0L V-8 which would be nice... albeit rough on gas.

Does anyone have experience with a long wheelbase (2500 or 3500 Express) van with the 4.8L V-8??? I suspect it is a bit less thirsty... however does it have enough power to pull around a fully loaded service van?

THX for any comments.
    Ga-HVAC-tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    We actually have a 08 2500 with the 4.8L around town it dose ok but get into the hills, that's another story. Just realize the motor may burn less but your running it at100% more often. We also have a 2016 2500 with the 6L. Personally a much stronger and better handling version and by the mpg per tank it's more efficient also. Pay attention to the gears in the rear end. That will also make a difference. Neither one of these I drive just what I'm told by my techs. The 08 will be replaced in January with the 6L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have a Ford V10,6mpg.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga-HVAC-tech View Post
    So GA (me) is looking at replacing the service van...

Most of the young pre-owned offerings have the 6.0L V-8 which would be nice... albeit rough on gas.

Does anyone have experience with a long wheelbase (2500 or 3500 Express) van with the 4.8L V-8??? I suspect it is a bit less thirsty... however does it have enough power to pull around a fully loaded service van?

THX for any comments.

You dont need no stinkin van. you're old, you cant bend over well, and when you do, you cant get up!

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I drive a 4 cylinder Sprinter. It gets 20 mpg. Power is not an issue, I can accelerate going up pretty steep hills.

Post Likes
    I have a long wheel base extended length high roof 3500 ProMaster Diesel. Power has always been adequate, even when pulling my enclosed trailer with an install inside. Average is 21 mpg. Only thing I don't like about it is the transmission is strange. An automated manual transmission. Its like a manual that clutches and shifts itself. You eventually get used to it, after it tries to kill you a few times. You will, however, never want to go back to an Express again.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    You dont need no stinkin van. you're old, you cant bend over well, and when you do, you cant get up!

Wisdom, my friend, comes with age...

And I still am spry enough to walk bent over in the back of the van... you youngins are the ones who pamper yourself with stand up vans... they cost too much!

Check your texts...
    Ga-HVAC-tech

8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    We actually have a 08 2500 with the 4.8L around town it dose ok but get into the hills, that's another story. Just realize the motor may burn less but your running it at100% more often. We also have a 2016 2500 with the 6L. Personally a much stronger and better handling version and by the mpg per tank it's more efficient also. Pay attention to the gears in the rear end. That will also make a difference. Neither one of these I drive just what I'm told by my techs. The 08 will be replaced in January with the 6L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \

THX... that is what I thought...

Sometimes a smaller engine will get better MPG's at the expense of power...
    However if it is only 10% ~~~ then it is not worth it to me... and Atlanta is hilly... I cannot even head go to the convenience store without doing two down/up's.

And there are a few doozies to drive up/down between myself and the supply houses.
    Ga-HVAC-tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga-HVAC-tech View Post
    Wisdom, my friend, comes with age...

And I still am spry enough to walk bent over in the back of the van... you youngins are the ones who pamper yourself with stand up vans... they cost too much!

Check your texts...
    it's only 62k. i ride in style and comfort, even when I smell like a shat grinder.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's only 62k. i ride in style and comfort, even when I smell like a shat grinder.
    Hmmm...

$62K is a pile of C notes...

Here is the alternative GA is looking at:

Chevy Express 3500 LT extended van... one ton chassis (super heavy duty, so the larger tranny, heavier brakes, larger radiator, etc... many 3/4 ton vans are not as heavy duty)... Note this is a people van, so take out the interior behind the seats and the front is still comfortable! Things like PW, PDL, back up camera, fancy radio, cruise, trailering package, nicer seats, side curtain air bags, traction control, key bob, and a host more... are all standard!

There are literally dozens of these available within a 100 mile radius of my area...
    2016 or 2017...
    Pre-owned...
    10-20K miles...
    Factory warranty Xfers to me...
    Most of them are certified pre--owned (means no issues)...
    Almost all were rental or lease vehicles... so they were maintained on schedule at the dealership!
    Price is in the mid $20K range.

Now consider: average life of one of these vans is ~150K miles...
    Average new cost is ~$40K+...
    Getting a vehicle that has ~90% of the life still in it... for something like 1/3 off the price...
    Well...

Seriously... I have driven Chevy's all my life... am just used to them.
    And yeah... at this stage, am an old dog about my van.

I did test drive the following: New Ford Transit; Dodge Pro-master; Nissan NV (all 1 ton chassis)... honestly the only one that has a driving feel anything near as comfortable (for me anyway) was the Ford. However the idea of a twin turbo 3.7L engine pulling around a 4+ton van (my current van weighs over 8K#....) does not sound like a good idea.

So after lots of consideration... the Chevy seems the logical choice (at least to me).

One more thing... there are lots of Chevy Express vans on the road down here... so parts are plentiful and cheap.
    Ga-HVAC-tech

12. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post