Post Likes

Prevent losing refrigerant during service

I'm new to the forum and have some basic questions. First let me explain what I've done. I have a $1000 fridge that is just out of the 12 month warranty. I found an A/C leak near the condenser. I brazed in a new pipe and a port to inject oil and freeon and am ready to evac/recharge the system. The port is installed on the suction line.

1.) I recently purchased an oil dye injector. It holds 2 ounces and I only want to inject 1 ounce of Frigi-Quiet Oil dye. I know this will work for my scenerio but lets say I didn't want to to evacuate and recharge the whole system and I didn't want to inject 1 ounce of air into the system either. Is there anyway to do this? At work we simply use a hand turn oil injection system so that we can simply add 1 ounce of oil, turn the handle so that there is no oil in the tool, then seal the tool up and inject it. No air is then injected into the system and it doesn't require a full evac/recharge. Can you do this with the air type injection systems or does it require a full evac/recharge to use this tool?

I want to evac/recharge an R-134 fridge and don't have any recovery equipment, but I do have a R-134 tank and a set of gauges. I'm thinking about either buying a recovery unit or a vacuum pump. A few basic questions.
    Do recovery units have a vacuum pump? This would be a winner so I don't have to buy both.
    I plan on installing the R-134 in the following order. I have a harbor freight set of gauges. I'm planning to hook the blue line to the suction port on the fridge, hook the red line to a vacuum pump (or recovery unit) and hook the yellow line to the R-134 tank. Then opening all of the valves and running the vacuum pump until I have a full vacuum. Once I have a full vacuum I plan on turning off the red gauge to then have a vacuumed system in the yellow/blue lines. Then I'm going to add the required .5 lbs of R-134 into the system. Once I add the freeon into the system I'm going to simply turn off the valve on the r134 pig and unscrew the hose from the fridge.
    2.) Is this the best way to evac/recharge in my scenerio?
    3.) How do I prevent from losing all of the R-134 in the hoses. This would be especially important when dealing with R-22.. I'm thinking about buying a second set of gauges for R-22 and adding a shut off valve at the end of each hose where hose screws onto the unit and again where the hose screws into the pig of refrigerant. Then I could simply "lock" the refrigerant in the hoses until the next time I use them... Is this feesable or will they slowly leak out of the hoses anyways if I only use them 1-3 times a year?

Thanks in advance for your help

Post Likes
    You are in way over your head!

EPA certified? Probably not
    No recovery equipment! Violation.

Put the tools down and call someone.

Post Likes
    pecmsg,

I replied on my other post explaining why I hope to not get a bunch of replies like yours and why I'm actually looking for some help.

Thanks,
    Me

Post Likes
    No recovery equipment, no evac equipment, and you want to use dye in everything.
    Throw the dye crap away. Go buy some nice equipment. Should be able to pick up a nice reclaimer, vac pump and electronic leak detector for only $2,500-$3,000.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You are in way over your head!

EPA certified? Probably not
    No recovery equipment! Violation.

Put the tools down and call someone.
    What he said!Your going to send some repair tech on a nice vacation by the time your thru.

Post Likes
    This is NOT a diy situation. Do not attempt.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Anybody follow Ichiban Moto on youtube?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ASETECH View Post
    Then I could simply "lock" the refrigerant in the hoses until the next time I use them... Is this feesable or will they slowly leak out of the hoses anyways if I only use them 1-3 times a year?