Post Likes

Can you repair a cracked 5/8" aluminum tube?

OK I have an old 1996 S420 vintage large Mercedes and hit a curb at 40 mph with no damage to the exterior but I cracked the suction line (small crack 1" long) and it will cost $400 to replace the line.

Need to get the ac leak fixed. Can the crack be welded shut and how.

Any aces out there good with repairing aluminum tubes?

Appreciate all the advice I can get here. thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    You need alum filler rod but yes you can braze just as you would
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Google is your friend - videos- Also Harbor freight tools has alum rods- takes a little practice use a propane torch

Post Likes
    Yep... you tube videos.... many products out there.....

One thing that concerns me is that it is a crack..... Ive brazed up cracks on lines before and had them continue to crack under the braze material..... think you might have to get something like a very small orifice drill bit and drill out the ends of the crack to keep it from growing.

And the LORD was with Judah, and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain, but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
    Judges Some number here:and here

Post Likes
    or.... dont drill them completely thru...... use an orifice bit in a brass holder or something and then.... take a needle or something small and poke the hole the rest of the way thru so you dont get any metal dropping into the pipe...... or take it off .... make the repair.... blow the pipe out and reinstall....

Celebrate with a chocolate...... or what you southern guys call.... a choclate.... frosty and cup of warm coffee......

I would have fiqured you for a Ford man..... Glenn
    And the LORD was with Judah, and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain, but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
    Judges Some number here:and here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    or.... dont drill them completely thru...... use an orifice bit in a brass holder or something and then.... take a needle or something small and poke the hole the rest of the way thru so you dont get any metal dropping into the pipe...... or take it off .... make the repair.... blow the pipe out and reinstall....

Celebrate with a chocolate...... or what you southern guys call.... a choclate.... frosty and cup of warm coffee......

I would have fiqured you for a Ford man..... Glenn
    Yeah corny that's all I buy in trucks and cars except for this vintage bullet proof big black S420 I got at a good deal from my brother in law who has a used car and mechanic shop business.

That way I can drive through the hood with a rebel flag on the front of the car without getting shot. It weights 5,500 lbs and is a tank using high test only gas. LOL. Thank you very much
    Last edited by glennac; 07-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater