Thread: Ultravent?

Post Likes

Ultravent?

Went to a cooling PM and noticed the gas furnace in the crawlspace had a large diameter plastic flue. I didn't think anything of it at first, but then I realized this is an 80% AFUE furnace (Rheem UGHU-12EARJR) and it's side vented with no power vent.

I've never seen this Ultravent stuff before, any of you? Does it allow 80% AFUE furnaces to be side vented? I'm just wondering if I need to say something to the customer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That and Plexvent were recalled in the 90s. Google either.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Is that stuff old? There was plastic pipe for 80% furnaces in the late 80s early 90s can't remember what it was called but Ultravent does ring a bell. It was recalled - turned out that if the there was condensate from the exhaust that puddled it would cause the plastic to become brittle.
    As for side venting of a 80% furnace you will have to pull up the install manual and see if it is allowed without a booster fan kit for the exhaust.
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Only seen that stuff twice. Both times it was cracking and leaking combustion byproducts into the space.
    It should be removed.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    plexvent is what I run into. There used to be a fund for replacement as part of the recall but the funds were depleted long ago. Most of the plastic is now replaced with SS gasketed pipe.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    It's cheaper (and better imo) to replace the furnace with a 90%er than to run the SS vent pipe. Yes it should be brought to their attention and it really should be red tagged until vented properly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It's cheaper (and better imo) to replace the furnace with a 90%er than to run the SS vent pipe. Yes it should be brought to their attention and it really should be red tagged until vented properly.
    Yep, that's what we're doing. Found a few cracks in it so he'll be replacing the furnace.

Post Likes
    Actually the recommended fix is b-vent to a Tjernlund or Field Controls sidewall vent kit. But either SS or that will be pricey.

A contractor removed a setup like that and threw away the kit, just stuck his Payne home warranty special flue pipe out the wall. I think we charged a health figure to do it right. He easily could have gotten a 90 for that loot.